Orientation is required for all incoming students!
Fall 2023 Law Orientation
Fall 2023 orientation will take place in person. A required pre-orientation will take place online (asynchronously). Orientation dates are listed below. Schedules will be sent out via email from the Office of Student Affairs in mid-July, and will also be available in the pre-orientation online course content. Check your Denver Law email account for more information.
- Part-Time JD: August 5 & 6, 2023
- Full Time JD Orientation: August 7-9, 2023
- Transfer and Visitor Student Orientation: August 11, 2023
Orientation Part II
Required by all current 1L students.
- Part-Time JD: Sunday, August 7, 2024
- Full-Time JD: Friday, January 12, 2024
Determining Your Section
Full-Time 1Ls Only
Follow the steps listed below to determine your section number and subsection letter.
- Log into MyDU.
- Select the "Student Resources" page.
- View your Fall 2023 class schedule.
- The "Details" section of your class schedule (to the right of "Course Title") will include the course number followed by a number and letter at the very end. The last number is your section. The last letter is your subsection.
Example: LAWS 4385 2B means you are in section 2, subsection B.
Orientation Leader Volunteers
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are law students who volunteer to receive special training, and in turn provide mentoring, communication, academic coaching, facilitation and logistical support for the annual new student orientation in August. They work with the Office of Student Affairs to execute the entire orientation program.
Note: This is not a paid or for-credit position.
Expand items in the list below for more details about volunteering as an Orientation Leader.
Students interested in becoming OLs in 2023 must be available for the following events:
- Mandatory Orientation Leader Training: Friday, August 4
- Part-Time JD Orientation: Saturday, August 5, & Sunday, August 6 (all day, both days)
- Full-Time JD Orientation: Monday, August 7, & Thursday, August 10 (all day, both days)
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of all orientation activities
- Facilitate small group discussions, social activities and academic exercises
- Serve as a mentor and role model for incoming students
- Attend all academic sessions assigned to your corresponding faculty members and provide support to faculty
- Communicate with faculty regarding academic sessions and expectations prior to orientation
- Attend all social and networking events to help connect new students to the Denver Law community
- Serve as a liaison for your students as they take part in Day of Service projects
- Communicate with students about the project prior to arriving for orientation
- Participate in the project and engage with the students to help them feel more welcome
- Attend all required training sessions
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
- Competent legal writing and law school study skills
- Must not be on academic probation (Students with GPAs between 2.3 and 2.7 may be considered based on other circumstances and involvement.)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective and competent communication skills, including active listening
- Ability to work in teams and resolve interpersonal conflicts
- Willingness to engage with diverse populations
- Available to participate fully in all of the orientation program, including training sessions
- Ability to facilitate small group activities and exercises
- Ability to maintain a positive, flexible and adaptable working style
- Ability to accept and respond to constructive feedback
While it is not a paid or for-credit position, Orientation Leaders do receive other benefits for volunteering:
- Resumé leadership enhancement
- Specialized leadership training in group facilitation and academic skills
- Free meals and admission to all social events the week of orientation
- T-shirts, name badges and other orientation swag
- References for future employment from the Office of Student Affairs
Office for Student Affairs
University of Denver College of Law 2255 E. Evans Avenue
Denver, CO 80208
Monday–Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.