The overarching goal of the Legal Externship Program is to provide opportunities for students to engage in critical reflection about the legal profession, their legal career, and their priorities and values as lawyers and individuals through supervised field experiences and externship seminars. Specific goals include:
- Develop the art of lawyering, including such skills as research, writing, legal analysis, client interviewing, communication, negotiation, and advocacy.
- Provide opportunities that integrate substantive learning with the practice of law.
- Promote the ethical practice of law by sensitizing students to issues of professional responsibility.
- Assist students to develop confidence in practical lawyering situations.
- Increase students’ understanding of their own individual strengths and weaknesses as lawyers.
- Explore and understand workplace issues such as time management, workplace culture, teamwork, giving and receiving feedback, and achieving balance in one’s life.
- Promote self-directed and lifelong learning.