Student Organization Information & Resources
- Student Leader Training
- Financial Information
- Planning Events
- Advertising Events
- Miscellaneous Information
- Student Org Logos & Promotional Items
- Student Organization Websites and Distribution Lists
- Honor Code
Student Leader Training
All organizations are required to complete the annual videos and certification quiz in TWEN in order to qualify for funds the following year. TWEN training occurs in the spring semester after new leaders are selected for student organizations during “Election Weeks” in February. Contact Student Affairs in Suite 115 in order to schedule a make-up training if your organization did not complete the original sessions.
- Each student organization has a unique budget or “fund” number where funds are deposited and disbursed. Contact Theresa Baker, Finance & Budget Coordinator, to receive reports on your student organization account.
- Most organizations (except law reviews/journals, Law Ambassadors, and some discrete clubs) are funded by the Student Bar Association. For funding information, budget request forms, special event request forms, and travel funding, please go to the SBA Finance Committee website.. All other organizations need to contact their funding source or contact the Assistant Dean of Budget and Operations.
- Check out the DU After Dark grants available through the Health & Counseling Center for additional event or program funding for substance-free events.
- Please download the following document for information on approved expenses, reimbursements, and sales taxes: Download Student Leader Training 2020-21.pdf
- Go to Student Organization Forms to download the necessary forms for reimbursement (“Student Organization Check Request”) or to deposit funds. The *tax exempt form* is also available at this site to give to vendors in order to remove sales tax on purchases. All reimbursements and deposits need to be submitted to the Dean’s Suite (215). University of Denver will reimburse tax on purchases, no exceptions!
- Reimbursements for are prohibited unless prior approval has been given by the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, Jessica Boynton.
Refer to the Student Leader Training presentation above or download the Planning Successful Events document to help guide you through planning your event. The following is a timeline review for important event deadlines:
- Minimum 3 weeks in advance: Guest Speaker Registration
- Minimum 3 weeks in advance: (1) Contract review and (2) risk management waivers or insurance certificates
- Minimum 2 weeks in advance: (1) Alcohol petition and (2) SBA funding requests
- Guest Speakers: Any event with a guest speaker must be registered at least six weeks in advance. Registration is prompted when reserving a room through 25Live but can also be completed more promptly by completing the Guest Speaker Registration Form directly. Please review the DU Speaker and Public Events Policy for details about review and restrictions for guest speakers at DU.
An Alcohol Approval Petition must first be submitted and approved by Student Affairs. Student organization funds cannot be used to pay for alcohol of any kind. Please see the Alcohol Policy for full details on restrictions and guidelines.
- Any events with alcohol cannot promote alcohol in their advertisements. See more information in the "Advertising Events" section below.
- All SBA-funded organizations are required to have a sign-in sheet recording (1) the individuals in attendance at each event, (2) the food ordered and the total cost, and (3) the sign-in sheets should be submitted to the SBA Office, Room 443.
- For programs with a specific time, date, and location, use the Event Submission form.
- For programs that range a time period (e.g., candidacy periods, general announcements), use the Announcement Submission form.
- To post to “Admitted Students” Facebook pages for which you do not have access, contact Student Affairs.
- Organizations may also post 8 1/2 × 11’ flyers to the bulletin boards throughout the law building, after receiving approval from Student Affairs in Suite 115. No more than two flyers can be posted in each classroom, and all flyers *may only be hung using thumb tacks*. hang with tape, staples, sticky putty, or nails.
- Please review the SCOL Flyer Posting policy (physical and electronic flyers) to ensure your advertisements are in compliance with DU policies, including the Alcohol Policy.
- Reserving Tables on Student Street: Contact the Events Office if your student organization wants to reserve a table on Student Street for any reason. You can also visit the Events Office in Suite 315 to reserve a table in person.
- Guest Parking Permits: Contact the Dean's Suite (215) to retrieve guest parking permits for guest speakers and prominent leaders attending your student organization event. The parking passes are first come first serve and are valid in specific designated areas. University of Denver reimburse parking tickets received by guests who park in the wrong location.
- Student Org Office: Room 439 is a general office for all student organizations with a copier/printer available for student organization purposes. Contact Student Affairs for door code access.
- Ordering Office Supplies: Contact Student Affairs if your student organization needs office supplies. If your organization needs printer/copier paper, order directly through DU’s Mail Services.
- Student Org Lockers: Contact Student Affairs to either reserve lockers for your student organization or to gain access to current lockers already assigned to your organization.
- Elections & Training: All student organizations are required to hold elections or complete their leadership selection process in the first two weeks of February every year. Newly-selected leaders do not assume their roles until the end of the academic year or as decided by the student organization. Student Leader Training will occur every Spring semester for all student organizations to be certified and cleared to receive funding.
Student Org Logos & Promotional Items
- Contact Assistant Director of Communications, Chris Wangelin, if you (1) need a new student org logo; (2) need to retrieve an existing logo; or (3) if you have any questions regarding your logo.
- Merchandise & Apparel: Wide variety of products available.Visit DenverLawGear.com for more information. Discounted pricing (up to 40%) available for student organizations. Contact Student Affairs to place an order for discounted pricing.
- Law Communications can also provide assistance with ordering table covers, banners, display signage, or merchandise not available through DenverLawGear.com. Contact Chris Wangelin to inquire about promotional items.
Student Organization Websites and Distribution Lists
- TWEN sites: Can store documents from year to year, can email all students who join the TWEN site, cannot easily email non-law students. Contact Student Affairs.
- Outlook Distribution Groups: Can host files and email but cannot easily email outside email addresses, somewhat difficult to self-enroll.
For assistance with your student organization e-mail accounts or Outlook Distribution Groups contact Tim Mitchell.
To update your Student Organization’s website contact Chris Wangelin.