Please click here to view or download a PDF of the Conference Schedule, or scroll down.
Thursday, September 26, 2019
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m. – 2:10 p.m.
Gathering & Introductions, David Thomson (Denver)
2:10 p.m. – 2:20 p.m.
Welcome to DU Sturm College of Law and the Conference, Dean Bruce Smith (Denver)
2:20 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Evidence-Based Best Practices Guiding and Shaping Legal Education - Hybrid and Online, Aaron Taylor (AccessLex)
- Learning by Example: Empirical Designs in Efficacy Research on Hybrid and Online Medical Education, Greg Brandes (St. Francis)
3:30 p.m. – 3:40 p.m.
Listening to Learners, David Thomson (Denver) (Moderator)
3:40 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Discussion and Q&A with Online and Hybrid Law Students
Nicole King (Denver Hybrid), TBA (Mitchell Hamline Hybrid), Kelly Nilsson (St. Francis Online)
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Reception hosted by iLaw
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Dinner hosted by iLaw
7:00 p.m. – 7:20 p.m.
Distinguishes Dinner Speaker, Barry Currier (ABA)
Friday, September 27, 2019
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Breakfast (hosted), Program for the Day
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Consecutive Sessions: Pedagogy in Online Practice, David Thomson (Denver) (Moderator)
- Designing for Deep Learning: The Relationship Between Interaction and Instructor Guidance, Jared Iacolucci & Melissa Williams (Mitchell Hamline)
- Setting the Stage for Student-Centered Learning, Elena Langan (Touro) & Sena Wilmoth (Concordia)
- Active Learning and the Asynchronous Classroom, Kenneth Swift (Houston)
10:30 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.
10:50 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Plenary - The Impact of Changes in the Higher Education Act
- Funding and Access, Chris Chapman (AccessLex)
- Regulation, Barry Currier (ABA)
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Plenary - Online Assessment in Action, Vicki Van Zandt (Dayton) (Moderator)
- Optimizing Resources to Enhance Feedback and Assessment for Traditional, Hybrid, and Distance Courses, Cynthia Ho (Loyola Chicago), Susan Gilles (Capital) & Angela Upchurch (SIU)
- Formative Assessment as a Bridge Between Online and In-Person Learning, Jack Graves (Touro)
- Examples of Assessment in a Hybrid Teaching Environment, Jane Winn (Washington) & Tracy Norton (Touro)
2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Concurrent Sessions: Pedagogy in Online Practice
Engage Me: The GPS of Hybrid Module Development for YouTube-Instagram Students, Debra Austin (Denver)
Using Scientific Methods in Designing, Evaluating, and Assessing Digital Learning in the Legal Academy , Vicki Sutton (Texas Tech)
Working with Instructional Design – Process and Pitfalls (With Both Internal and External ID Resources, Sophie Sparrow (New Hampshire) (Moderator), Shaun Jamison & Sarah Cline (Concord), Jared Brueckner (iDesign), Patricia Dinneen & Karen Thornton (GW Law)
3:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Concurrent Sessions: Student Success and Relevant History
Student Success and Faculty Engagement in Hybrid and Online Teaching, Sara Berman (Moderator), Elizabeth Xyr (Monterey), Elena Langan (Touro) & Sena Wilmoth (Concordia)
Weaving Student Needs, Experiential and Online Learning to Create a Tailored Educational Experience, Joe Brennan, Jeannette Eicks, Beth Locker & Sarah Reiter (Vermont)
Pitfalls, History, Regulation, and Lessons Learned: 25 Years of Online Legal Education; Standard 306 Today; Empirical Research, What Works and Doesn’t Work; and Accommodations in Online and Hybrid Learning, Greg Brandes (Moderator), Jack Graves (Touro), Susan Hayes Stephan (NSU), James Levy (NSU) & William Byrnes (Texas A&M)
4:45 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Vendor Forum and Showcase (Ignite Presentations), iLaw, West Academic Publishing Carolina Academic Press, CALI
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Reception (hosted by Sturm College of Law)
6:30 p.m. Dinner (on your own)
Saturday, September 28, 2019
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Discussion Tables for:
Foundations for Practice (IAALS)
Online Bar Review & ASP
First Time Teaching Online for Professors
Teaching Legal Writing Online
Intellectual Property Issues in Online/Hybrid Settings (AAUP)
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Concurrent Sessions: Which Parts Go Where? David Thomson (Denver) (Moderator)
In-house v. OPM: Can They Coexist? Liz Boals, Cathy Schenker, & David Rose (American)
From Viewing to Doing: Making Asynchronous Videos Interactive, Alan Calnan (Southwestern)
Online Skills v. Online Doctrine Student Centered Learning Workshop, Leah Chan Grinvald & Dyane O’Leary (Suffolk)
The Need for Timely and Substantive Feedback, Elena Langan (Touro) & Sena Wilmoth (Concordia)
10:00 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.
10:20 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
Plenary - The Future is Here: Legal Education in a Hybrid World, Sara Berman (AccessLex) (Moderator)
- Syracuse, Nina Kohn
- Denver, Bruce Smith
- Dayton, Andrew Strauss
- Loyola Chicago, Kirk Walter
- Mitchell Hamline, Eric Janus
- The Colleges of Law, Andrea Funk
- Touro, Jack Graves
- New Hampshire, Megan Carpenter
11:50 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Lunch (box lunches)