In this season of gratitude, giving and community, I write to express warm holiday greetings and to share some things for which I am thankful in my role as dean of the University of Denver Sturm College of Law:
• The opportunity to work with a visionary Chancellor, Provost and cohort of fellow deans to advance the DU IMPACT 2025 strategic plan;
• The ability to collaborate with some of the nation’s most innovative and influential scholar-teachers;
• The privilege of working with our talented, dedicated and mission-driven staff;
• The excitement of teaching my first-year Property course to some of this nation’s finest future lawyers;
• The views of the Rocky Mountains from the Ricketson Law Building—and (today) the season’s first accumulation of snow;
• The joy of skating twice a week at Magness and Joy Burns Arenas with my 11-year-old son in my role as an on-ice assistant with the Denver Jr. Pioneers Pee Wee A hockey team;
• The adventure of browsing the shelves of The Tattered Cover bookstore with my 14-year-old daughter—a lover of books and a budding writer in her own right;
• The opportunity for my wife to join the University of Denver community as a lawyer in the Office of General Counsel; and
• The loyalty, pride and support of our nearly 17,000 Denver Law alumni.
As we conclude 2017, and mark the culmination of our law school’s 125th anniversary year, I invite you to view this celebratory video honoring the past, present and future of Denver Law.
Bruce P. Smith
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Annual support from Denver Law alumni and friends is critical to the advancement of the law school and our students. A gift to the Denver Law Fund is an investment in a better future, because we are preparing lawyers to meet the needs of a changing society. With renowned faculty members, a rich and dynamic curriculum, a diverse and inspired student body, and world-class facilities, the Sturm College of Law is at the forefront of the nation’s most ascendant law schools.