Jessup Try-Outs Info Session
Monday, April 8, 2019 at 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Location: Law 165
Info Sessions (lunch will be provided):
• Thursday, April 4th at 12 pm (Room 155)
• Monday, April 8th at 12 pm (Room 165)
Interested in being prepared for the practice of law in a way other moot court or mock trial teams, or even classes cannot accomplish? Or are you interested in international law or appellate advocacy? Then try-out for the Jessup Team!
What is the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition?
• The LARGEST, most prestigious, and MOST FUN moot court competition in the WORLD!
• 1,000s of students, from over 700 law schools, in more than 100 countries!
• The team does appellate style oral arguments and writes legal briefs for a fictional dispute before a simulated International Court of Justice (World Court of the United Nations).
• Being in Jessup teaches you to be a great legal writer, a skilled oralist, an effective and efficient legal researcher, and proficient in legal reasoning better than any other class, moot court/mock trial team, or internship in law school.
• If we advance to the international rounds, there is a week-long series of events and parties in Washington, D.C. where you can meet some of the biggest players in international law and U.S. politics, who will be judging the competition.
• You can earn up to 5 graded credits each year and fulfill the upper level writing requirement.
What we are looking for in new teammates?
• Decent public speaking ability, eager to learn, willing to have fun, team player, and passionate!
• NO KNOWLEDGE OF INTERNATIONAL LAW IS REQUIRED!!!
• Time Commitment: two nights a week for practices, and part of Winter Break (we take a week or more off for holidays).
How to Try-Out:
• Email: A resume and writing sample (1L Memo, etc.), to Ali Sheets ([email protected]) with the subject line “Jessup Application” by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 12th.
• Try-outs will be Saturday, April 13th, consisting of:
o A 3-5-minute easy presentation with provided materials just to demonstrate your natural speaking qualities.
o This will be followed by a brief interview with the current Jessup Team.
You can access the try-out materials here (they will be emailed to you as well after you send in your application): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AV_yNNAWAC09w-LwKNhc8AS7PSmnMh8UuGooF_QimlI/edit?usp=sharing
If you cannot attend the info session, you can access the powerpoint from the info session from last year here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EA74hVc5hdfsgIqWgt0pm5YDG7uDHkUa/view?usp=sharing
If you cannot attend the info session, you can access the recording of the info session from a past year here: https://du-denverlaw.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=4588d704-6834-43bb-a92f-e44a9be9814a
Want to know more about Jessup?
The Jessup All Rise Movie promotional trailer:
A blog about 25 reasons why students should participate in the Jessup competition