ESL Additional Time Request for Exams
It is your responsibility to read, and sign your exam registration form (below) acknowledging that you have read the following:
Additional time for ESL students is not available for JD students.
Before the Exam
- Students must submit an “ESL Student Registration Form”.
- Students who have been approved to receive ESL testing arrangements must submit a request for each exam for which the student wishes to receive an arrangement to the Student Affairs Office a minimum of seven (7) days prior to the first exam. Failure to submit a request on time may result in a denial of the arrangement for that exam.
- Students should download the Exam 4 software and take a practice exam prior to arriving for the exam.
- The Student Affairs Office will be in touch with each student about the date, time, and location of the exam no less than 72 hours prior to the exam. Please note that ESL exams are always on the same date and generally begin at 12:00 noon.
- If the professor changes the type of exam, please alert the Registrar’s Office.
Day of the Exam
- Students are expected to arrive on time to the designated testing room.
- Students may bring a time piece that is not a cell phone.
- If there is no proctor and if there is excessive noise inside or outside of the testing room during the exam, alert the Registrar’s Office immediately by going to office (Suite 235).
Materials in the testing room:
- Students may only bring in materials that have been preapproved by instructors. Proctors may require proof of the approval of open books/notes or computer use.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices are not allowed in the testing room.
- Food and drinks are allowed in the testing room so long as they do not disrupt other students.
- Breaks to use the restroom or get food/drink may be monitored by the proctor. Lengthy absences will be reported to the Registrar’s Office. Exams or other materials should not be taken out of the testing room during breaks.
- The testing room will be a classroom pre-arranged and communicated by the Office of Student Affairs. ESL students may be placed in a testing room with other students who are taking “out-of-sequence” exam or receive accommodations for other reasons. Students must leave ample space between themselves and the other students.
- All exams may be proctored at any time.
- The Registrar/proctor may provide disposable ear plugs to students upon request. Headphones may not be used without prior approval.
- The standard ESL time extension for timed exams is additional 20 minutes per hour of the exam (1 hour = 1 hour and 20 minutes). Requests for additional time are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. This time extension is for in-class exams only.
Additionally, there are some differences in testing arrangements when it comes to take-home exams and online exams. Due to the nature of take-home and online exams the following structure is in place:
Take-Home & Online Exams:
- If the exam is 1-12 hours, the student will receive an additional 20 minutes per hour of the exam (1 hour = 1 hour and 20 minutes)
- If the exam is 13-48 hours, the student will receive an additional 10 minutes per hour of the exam (1 hour = 1 hour and 10 minutes)