We want to hear your news! Stay in touch with Denver Law and update your fellow alumni.
Class Notes from Spring 2019
- 1973: Charles C LedbetterCharles C. "Charlie" Ledbetter authored a memoir recounting his thirty-three years experience teaching a Sunday school class for teens. His book, "Unexpected Conversations with Teenagers - A Spiritual Journey with Young Minds," offers an honest, relatable, and often comic tale of teens becoming adults and provides a thoughtful meditation for anyone interested in youth and the challenges of their spiritual development. The book relates the essence of the human spirit in teens and provides a compelling tale of the author's experience working with teenagers for more than three decades. The book is available on-line at Amazon and Barnes & Noble or through the website: charlescledbetter.com.
- 1973: David Szumowski1973 DU law graduate David M. Szumowski has authored his autobiography. It tells his story primarily after being blinded in Vietnam, then attending DU Law School and finding success as a prosecutor and then a Superior Court Judge in San Diego, CA. David is now retired and lives in Coronado, CA with his wife Janice and 6th guide dog, Speedwell. Reach For More: A Journey From Loss to Love and Fulfillment is available on Amazon.com and through the website davidszumowski.com
- 1978: William PeithmannCHICAGO, IL, July 12, 2019 – William A. Peithmann, principal of The Peithmann Law Office in Mahomet, has been elected to the position of First Vice President of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Bar Foundation (IBF). The IBF’s mission is to ensure meaningful access to the justice system, especially for those with limited means and to assist lawyers and their families who can no longer support themselves due to incapacity. In addition, the IBF administers the Illinois JusticeCorps program which provides navigational and procedural guidance inside courthouses across the State. This year, the IBF will distribute more than $930,000 in funds to promote access to justice and help support lawyers in need. Peithmann, a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, concentrates his practice in trusts and estates and tax law. He has been rated by Illinois Super Lawyers since 2006 and recognized in Best Lawyers in America® since 1999. Peithmann is a Lincoln Legacy Society Member and Pillar of the Foundation Fellow of the IBF. In addition to serving as IBF Treasurer from 2016-17, Peithmann previously served on the IBF Board from 1997-98 and 2000-2003. Peithmann served six years on the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Board of Governors as well as on numerous ISBA committees and section councils. Peithmann received a B.A. degree from Loretto Heights College (now Regis University) in 1975, and a J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 1978. The Illinois Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Illinois State Bar Association, is located at 20 S. Clark St., Suite 910, Chicago, IL 60603. Call (312) 726-6072 or visit www.IllinoisBarFoundation.org.
- 1980: Kevin O'BrienKevin O'Brien was named a 2019 Top Lawyer by Sacramento Magazine in the practice areas of Energy & Natural Resources and Environmental law. Link to press release: https://www.downeybrand.com/Resources/Press-Releases/160902/49-Downey-Brand-Attorneys-Distinguished-as-Top-Lawyers-by-Sacramento-Magazine
- 1988: Alice NormanAlice Norman, Chief, Public Defender of the City and County of Denver, has been awarded the prestigious Olom Award from the Colorado Crimincal Defense Bar (CCDB). According to the CCDB website, the Jonathan Olom Award is presented to an outstanding member of the criminal defense community based on the activities and accomplishments over his or her career. Norman will receive her award at the Annual Spring Awards Dinner will be on Friday, May 17th at the History Colorado Center.
- 1991: Daniel HernandezDaniel Hernandez has been elected as President of the El Paso Bar Association 2019-2020, in El Paso, Texas where he has practiced since 1991 as a trial attorney and civil litigation practitioner. Daniel is also serving as West Texas Vice President for the Texas Association of Defense Counsel since 2018 and has served on its Board of Directors since 2016. Daniel is a shareholder in the law firm of Ray, Pena and McChristian where he has worked since 1995 in civil litigation and trial work in the areas of contract and commercial disputes, employment, personal injury and first and third party insurance disputes.
- 1994: Lora Plank CheadleLora Cheadle, Author, Speaker and Female Empowerment Leader received the Exceptional Woman of Excellence award from the Women Economic Forum in New Delhi, India for her work helping women reclaim their voice and embrace their authentic identity.
- 1997: Kent HolsingerKent Holsinger was named to the Denver Business Journal's and Colorado Farm Bureau's Who's Who in Agriculture in Colorado in 2019 and the Denver Business Journal's Who's Who in Energy in 2019. Holsinger founded Holsinger Law in Denver in 2006.
- 1999: Matthew ScobleEffective September 2018, Matthew Scoble was appointed as a United States Magistrate Judge for the District of Alaska. Scoble replaced Magistrate Judge Kevin McCoy who retired in May 2018. Prior to becoming a magistrate, Scoble served as an Assistant Federal Defender since 2010 in both Alaska and Sacramento, CA. As well as serving as an Assistant Public Defender for five years in Sacramento County. After earning his undergraduate degree from the University of California, Davis and his law degree at the University of Denver, he started his career as an Assistant Staff Judge Advocate in the United States Air Force in Colorado. He then moved to North Dakota and worked as Area Defense Counsel and later Circuit Defense Counsel covering a territory from North Dakota to Texas. Hon. Scoble was appointed to an eight-year term and is based in Anchorage.
- 2003: Michael RollinMichael Rollin, JD'03 or Parker, Colorado, is a partner at law firm Fox Rothschild. During Michael's career he has served as lead counsel to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate for mortgage-backed securities and was lead national counsel for AIG and its financial services subsidiaries. Michael is license in Colorado, New York, and California and was named a Law Week Colorado 2017 Lawyer of the Year.
- 2004: Damian ArguelloColorado Insurance Law Center (CILC) is proud to announce that Damian J. Arguello (J.D., 2004) has been named a Top Latino Lawyer for 2018 by Latino Leaders Magazine (Issue Nov/Dec 2018).
- 2005: Arnulfo HernandezArnulfo D. Hernandez (J.D., 2005; LL.M., 2007), Managing Partner of Hernandez & Associates, P.C., was named to the 2018 Top Latino Lawyers by Latino Leaders Magazine. He was also given the Colorado Hispanic Bar Association’s Chris Miranda Outstanding Hispanic Lawyer Award in 2018.
- 2005: Christine HernandezChristine M. Hernandez (J.D., 2005), Partner at Hernandez & Associates, P.C., was named a 2018 Top Latino Lawyer and also one of the Most Powerful Latinas in Law Business in 2018 by Latino Leaders Magazine. Christine began her Presidency of the Colorado Hispanic Bar Association in January 2019.
- 2005: ARNULFO HERNANDEZArnulfo D. Hernandez, Managing Partner of Hernandez & Associates, P.C., was named the 2019 Adult Male Athlete of the Year by the Denver Athletic Club.
- 2006: Jeremy BermanJeremy Berman, JD'06, is a director at the Dallas office of law firm Crowe & Dunlevy.
- 2006: Stephen RotterAfter spending six years practicing employment law at national firms and over four years as a federal prosecutor, Stephen Rotter launched The Workplace Counsel (www.theworkplacecounsel.com) to help employers with all matters workplace-related. Stephen leverages his business acumen and human resources knowledge to provide real-world, practical solutions to companies, including advice & counsel, litigation, and defense of employee claims.
- 2009: Garrett DeanGarrett has joined the law firm, Sherman & Howard, L.L.C. beginning in January of this year. He is an associate in the firm's premier Business & Transactions Group. He represents clients in transaction matters involving contract negotiations, commercial agreements, business formations as well as intellectual property issues including matters involving licensing, trademark and copyright. Prior to joining the firm, he served as Vice President - Corporate Counsel for Intermap Technologies. Garrett’s arrival supports the firm’s concentration in the telecommunications and technology industry sectors.
- 2010: Nicholas AndersonLathrop Gage’s Denver office continues to expand its practice forte with the recent addition of Tax and Employee Benefits attorney Nicholas J. Anderson, Of Counsel. Anderson previously practiced with Krieg DeVault LLP in Indiana, where he represented businesses with general corporate, federal tax and financing matters, and nonprofit organizations in obtaining and maintaining their tax-exempt status. He’s also especially experienced handling all types of tax credit matters, particularly New Markets Tax Credits and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits. Prior to Krieg DeVault, Anderson was a Tax attorney with the Denver office of Kutak Rock LLP. Anderson received his LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Denver, 2010. He received his Juris Doctor from Syracuse University College of Law, 2009, where he was a member of Syracuse Science & Technology Law Reporter. Anderson received his B.A. in Communication Studies from the University of Iowa, 2005.
- 2010: Lindsay VaughtLindsay Vaught (Noyce) was elected as a Shareholder at Ahlers & Cooney in Des Moines, Iowa effective January 4, 2019. Lindsay practices primarily in the areas of Employment Law and Litigation. She works closely with both public and private clients, including institutions of higher education. Lindsay counsels employers on various employment law matters, and in defending various claims of retaliation, discrimination and harassment, as well as defending administrative complaints. For over 130 years, Ahlers & Cooney has been providing comprehensive legal services to local, state, national and international businesses, educational institutions and municipalities.
- 2011: Ben HagerApril 11, 2019 (Lexington, KY) – Frost Brown Todd promoted Managing Associates Ben Hager and Jana Syrcle to Members effective the beginning of April. Hager is part of the Tax, Benefits and Estates team and Syrcle works in Finance. They are two of nine attorneys across FBT’s 12 markets named Member. Ben Hager, JD'11 and LLM'16 from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, counsels clients on tax and corporate law out of the Lexington office. A substantial part of Hager’s practice involves joint ventures, limited liability companies and partnerships, including within the context of venture capital, private equity and real estate equity funds. Hager has experience representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service in tax controversies and federal tax controversy experience includes representation of businesses and individuals during examination, administrative appeal and litigation.
- 2016: Jazlynn AllenDenver (May 29, 2019) – Lathrop Gage is pleased to welcome Associate Jazlynn Allen to the firm’s Denver office, joining the Energy team. Well-versed in multiple areas of the oil and gas industry, Allen focuses her practice on the preparation, drafting and review of title opinions covering lands in the western United States. Allen has worked in diverse roles with several operators in the Denver area and completed projects throughout both North and South America. Most recently, Allen worked at a boutique Denver-based firm that primarily served exploration and production companies in upstream oil and gas matters. Allen’s experience includes completing title opinions and preparing and reviewing purchase of sale agreements, master service agreements, confidentiality agreements and other industry agreements. Allen also previously worked as a Landman for a full-service land management firm. Allen received her Juris Doctor from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, with a focus on Environmental and Natural Resources Law, 2016. She received her B.S., in Business Administration, from the University of Denver, 2013.