Student Affairs


The following are questions frequently asked at the Sturm College of Law, and the answers most often given. If you do not see an answer to your question here, please reach out to for assistance.


Q. Who can help me with making an exception to an academic policy?

A. You will need to contact Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Annecoos Wiersema. Her office is located in the Dean’s Suite, 215 on the second floor.

ADA Accommodations

Q. Who do I see about ADA accommodations?

A. Contact Student Affairs in Suite 115 or at You will be required to apply for accommodations through Disability Services by filling out and submitting an intake packet along with documentation from your doctor.

Bar Exam Information

Q. How important is it to take Bar related classes in law school?

A. In most law school classes (and all required classes), the law as it is taught in law school IS the law as it is tested on the bar exam. But, there can be some difference in question formats as the bar exam focuses on legal application as a practicing attorney with essays exams, for example, often set in practitioner scenarios (such as how should the appellate court rule, etc.). And, the bar exam includes a significant component that tests legal writing (e.g., drafting a memo, a persuasive brief, or a letter, etc.). Finally, the bar exam tests legal problem-solving skills in a variety of formats to include both written formats and multiple-choice testing formats. Regardless of the format, the bar examiners require applicants to successfully demonstrate strong reading, writing, thinking, problem-solving, and organizational skills as entry level professional legal practitioners.

With respect to the Colorado Bar Exam, in addition to testing legal writing, the state administers a Uniform Bar Exam (UBE), which tests the following subjects: Torts, Constitutional Law (including Individual Rights), Property, Contracts/UCC, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Criminal Law, Federal Civil Procedure, Wills & Trusts, Business Associations (including Corporations, Agency, Partnership, and LLC), Family Law, and Secured Transactions. There is no state-tested law on the Colorado UBE. Consequently, you will have a good working knowledge of some of these subjects from your required courses. But, if you do not take the non-required courses in Business Associations, Criminal Procedure, Secured Transactions, Wills & Trusts, and Family Law, you will have to plan on catching up with others during the intense two-month post-graduate bar exam period in order to successfully prepare for the entirely of your bar exam.

The overwhelming difference between someone who passes the bar and someone who doesn’t boils down to your own bar-specific preparation efforts. You will greatly increase your chances of passing the bar if you do the following: take a bar-review course, take Legal Analysis Strategies as a third year/fourth year law student, actively participate in the free supplemental post-graduate DU Bar Success Program, follow the study schedules which they suggest, spend most of your study time in practicing through problems using active learning rather than passive learning, and avoid working while 

If you study hard for those two months before the bar exam, and you make passing the bar your full-time job for that time, you will be much more likely to pass.

Q. Where can I find additional Bar Exam Information?

A. For Complete Bar Exam Information, click here.


Q. Who do I call about computer difficulties?

A. The Computer Help Desk will help you through any University of Denver network related computer difficulties. You can reach them at (303) 871-6464. They can also help you get access from home and help you find your password.


Q. Who do I talk to about exam/scheduling conflicts?

A. If you have many exams scheduled in a short amount of time, you may be eligible for rescheduling. You must fill out an Out-of-Sequence Exam Request in the Registrar’s Office. The deadline for submitting this request is published by the Registrar’s Office each semester. If an emergency arises that causes a conflict with exams, you should speak with Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs or Christopher Newman, Associate Director of Student Affairs.

Financial Aid

Q. Who do I see with questions about financial aid and work study?

A. The Office of Financial Management can answer your financial aid related questions and arrange work study positions for those students who qualify. If you are suddenly encountering financial difficulty, the Office of Financial Management may be able to arrange an emergency loan.

Q. How much am I allowed to work?

A. American Bar Association requirements dictate that full time students may not work more than 20 hours per week. Evening students who work full time are not able to take more than twelve credits.

Q. Where can I find information about scholarships that recognize my achievements while in law school?

A. Check out the College of Law financial aid web page at Financial Aid

Q. I am concerned about managing my debt. Who can I talk with?

A. Students concerned about managing debt should contact the Student Financial Planning Coordinator at (303) 871-6557.

Q. Where can I get information about bar study loans?

A. The Office of Financial Management is happy to help arrange for bar study loans.

Q. Does the school offer short term emergency loans?

A. The Office of Financial Management will work with you to obtain short term emergency loans.

Grades and Transcripts

Q. Who do I see about transcript and ranking requests?

A. The Registrar’s office can help you with transcript and ranking requests. You will need to fill out a Request Form, available in the Registrar’s Office. You must request these services in writing, in compliance with the Buckley Amendment. A fee of $2 is charged for official copies of transcripts, and $0.50 for an unofficial student copy. However, transcripts will not be released to students who have outstanding financial obligations to the University.

Health Issues

Q. What do I do if I need medical attention?

A. If it is an emergency, and you are on campus, you should call 911!! You should notify Campus Safety at (303) 871-3000 immediately following. For minor emergencies such as to be escorted to your vehicle late at night, suspicious activity, etc. you may contact Campus Safety at (303) 871-3000. For other Campus Safety Related questions see their website here.

Q. Who can help me with questions about my school health insurance?

A. If you have health insurance through the university, you should call (303) 871-4136.

Q. Is there someone I can see for personal counseling?

A. The Counseling and Consultation Center is available for counseling, psychotherapy, consultation, emergency services, psychiatric consultation, and psychological assessment. All records are kept strictly confidential. Typical problems addressed at the center include relationships, stress,  depression, anxiety, family problems, homesickness, discrimination, grief, drug/alcohol concerns, sexual concerns, financial, academic issues, and other mental health concerns. A counselor is on call at all times. Students may call (303) 871-3511 during business hours, and may call (303) 871-3000 during emergencies.

If you are experiencing academic related stress or other concerns that are affecting your law school experience, you are also welcome to speak with Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, or Katie Fredrick, Associate Director of Student Affairs.

Jobs and Careers

Q. How do I start looking for a job?

A.The Career Development Office is a valuable and useful resource that will help you in your job search. There are career counselors to help you get started and to give you ideas. The Resource Room is available for students and alumni. Here you will find job postings, information on different types of careers, information about different areas of the law, and many other resources about agencies, corporations, and firms. It is a good idea to get started on this sooner rather than later because targeting your talents and experience to available opportunities is time consuming, but effective. You can make an appointment with a career counselor as early as November of your first year of law school. Don’t wait! You’ll be glad you acted early.

Q. How do I know if my resume is appropriate?

A. It is very important that your resume appear appropriate for the legal market. The legal style and appearance of a resume can be very different from the resume you made as an undergraduate or for your previous career. One of the functions of the Career Development Office is reviewing resumes. Career counselors are trained to give you feedback on content, style, and organization of your resume specifically for legal employment. You can drop off your resume in the Career Development Office and receive prompt feedback. It is also recommended that you drop off your cover letters as well. The feedback you receive could make all the difference in being granted an interview or being thrown in the circular file!

Q. Can I schedule a mock interview to prepare for a real one?

A. Absolutely! This is highly recommended! The Career Development Office sponsors a mock interview day each fall. However, if you miss this day, sign up for a mock interview at any time in the Career Development Office. You will be expected to dress appropriately for an interview and to treat the mock interview just as you would a “real” one. Career counselors will be able to give you feedback on how prospective employers will perceive you as an applicant.


Q. How can I get a locker?

A. You can rent a locker from the Student Bar Association/Student Affairs Office for $20 per year. The University will provide you with a lock. Please keep the University issued lock on your locker. For more information, please come to the Student Affairs Office, Suite 115.

Planning My Class Schedule

Q. How do I plan for classes that will be offered in the future?

A. The Registrar’s office keeps a tentative schedule of when classes will be offered in the future. You can see when certain classes are traditionally held (each semester, fall, and/or spring and summer). This can be used as a general guide. However, it is important to remember that things can come up. Class offerings often depend on what professors and adjunct professors are available to teach each semester, and what other classes are being offered that semester. It can also be difficult to gauge student interest. The general rule is that when you see a class offered that you are sure you want to take before you graduate, you should sign up at the first available opportunity. You never know whether the time the class is offered will work for you the next time around, or whether another class you want to take will be offered at the same time. It is best to be proactive in signing up for classes that interest you.

Put Me In A Courtroom

Q. I want to go to court, so I might want to participate in the Student Law Office. Where do I find more information on the clinics?

A. In the Clinics (a.k.a. The Student Law Office)—we have five of them—students are given the opportunity to represent real clients with real legal issues. As the attorney on the case/matter, clinic students have the opportunity to develop a variety of skills, including client counseling, interviewing, negotiating, legal writing, oral advocacy, trial skills, etc. The Student Law Office recruits students twice a year. We accept applications from 2Ls (clinic recruiting occurs in the Spring semester of your 1L year for participation in the Fall of your 2L year) as well as 3Ls and 4Ls. Read more about the Denver Law Clinics here or visit the Student Law Office, outside the elevator on the third floor. Watch the Events and Announcements calendars for Student Law Office information sessions, held throughout the year.

Security and Parking

Q. Can someone walk me to my car at night?

A. For an after-dark escort to your car, call (303) 871-2334. The law school also provides a free shuttle that runs a circular route around the campus from 5:30 – 10:30 PM. For further information about the exact route, see the Office of Student Affairs.

Q. How do I contact Campus Safety if I see something suspicious on campus?

A. Call (303) 871-3000. We have campus security officers ready to assist in any situation.

Q. How does parking work?

A. Parking permits can be obtained from the Department of Parking Services located at 2400 Gaylord Street or


Q. How do I join the Moot Court Board?

A. Each spring, applications are made available to first and second year students interested in applying for the Moot Court Board. Applicants must have participated in at least one moot court board sponsored competition before applying.

Q. How do I start a student organization?

A. For advice and support about starting a student organization, see Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs or email her at . You must register your student organization with the Office for Student Affairs. To obtain funding for your organization, you must be recognized by the Student Bar Association. Information on how to get a new organization recognized can be found at

Q. How do I get funds for my student organization?

A. The Student Bar Association funds student organizations. You must apply for funding from the SBA, but to do so your organization must be registered with the Office for Student Affairs. All funds, whether allocated by the SBA or separately fundraised, must be kept in a University of Denver Sturm College of Law account. For more information about accounts, see Molly Keegan in the Dean’s Suite.

Taping Policy

Q. What is the class taping policy?

A. As of December 15, 2006, the Sturm College of Law will no longer offer students class taping privileges. Students who miss class should contact their professors or other students to obtain class notes. Under extenuating circumstances, students may contact Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs in Suite 115, to request permission to have a class taped. If Dean Boynton approves a student request she will forward that request to Multimedia Services.

Where Do I Go? Who Should I See

Q. Who can I talk to if I’m stressed about exams?

A. The Office for Student Affairs is always available to help you through the tough times. Feel free to make an appointment with Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs or Katie Fredrick, Associate Director of Student Affairs, to talk about things that are upsetting you. Together we can work out ways of coping with academic related stress.

Q. What if I have a concern with a professor?

A. If you have a concern about a professor, you should see the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, in the Dean’s Suite. You may also approach Jessica Boynton, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs or Katie Fredrick, Associate Director of Student Affairs.

Q. How do I request exam accommodations for my disability?

A. If you have a disability that requires accommodations for exams, you need to contact the Office of Student Affairs as soon as possible to have your accommodations approved. In most cases this will require detailed documentation, and our office can tell you exactly what would be needed. Once accommodations are granted, you will need to fill out an Exam Accommodation Request Form each semester a few weeks before exams so that your exams can be scheduled accordingly. A copy of the Disability Handbook is available at

Q. How do I request class accommodations for my disability?

A. Schedule an appointment with the Office for Student Affairs as soon as possible. We will work to accommodate your documented disability.

Q. I’ve got problems on my tuition bill – who do I call?

A. Contact the central campus Office for Student Financial Services at (303) 871-4900.

Q. How can I get a travel grant?

A. Students wishing to attend conferences and competitions may apply to the Student Bar Association bylaws available at

Q. Who do I tell if I have a complaint about a student, employee or faculty member?

A. The Office for Student Affairs is happy to help you with any of these matters.

Q. Who do I tell if the toilets won’t work, light bulbs are burned out, and other maintenance issues?

A. Students should contact the Administrative Assistant in the Dean’s Suite, 215.


Sturm College of Law
University of Denver
2255 E. Evans Avenue
Denver, CO 80208