Master's and LLM Degrees

Visa/I-20 Information

All I-20 documentation must be submitted as PDF files to the Graduate Legal Studies office.


All required documentation must be received at least 8 weeks prior to the beginning of semester or quarter term. Please visit this page for more information about application deadlines.

Please adhere to these dates. All applications must be submitted by the listed deadline, including pertinent immigration documents. Even if all other application materials have been received on time, missing immigration documents may result in a delay of I-20 and visa issuance, preventing an applicant from being allowed to matriculate in their desired term.

The LLM and Master’s programs (except for Graduate Tax) are intended to be completed in one year, over two consecutive semesters, with students taking a minimum of 24 credits and 30 credits maximum. Certain exceptions may be made for part-time enrollment. An international student must be enrolled in at least 9 credits per semester term in order to be considered as a full-time student. Graduate Tax students should complete the program in 4-5 quarters and be enrolled at least 8 quarter credits per term.

Students will be required to attend two mandatory international student orientations hosted by the Graduate Legal Studies department and by International Student and Scholar Services prior to beginning their study at DU. Information about these sessions will become available as the student’s term of entry nears.

I-20 and F-1 Student Visa Information

What is an I-20?

An I-20 form is the official government document which certifies that a person is eligible to apply for an F-1 student visa on behalf of the University of Denver. This form is not automatically generated for non-immigrants. It is issued once students are accepted to a full-time program and show that they have enough financial resources to cover one year of academic study. The I-20 is then used to apply for an F-1 visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

What is an F-1 Student Visa?

The F-1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows international students to enter into the U.S. to attend a full course of study at colleges, universities and language training programs.

How do I get an I-20?

You must first apply and be admitted to the University of Denver. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will then issue an I-20 once the appropriate financial verification is received. Financial verification should come in the form of an original bank letter on bank letterhead stating that funds are available in at least the amount listed on the I-20.

Visa Instructions

  1. Fill out the Financial Verification Form and submit original bank documents. Students requesting an I-20 to apply for an F-1 Student Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for at least the first year of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. It is assumed that this amount will be available for each additional year of study. Students requesting a DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for the duration of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. Information about the specific expense requirements can be found here.
  2. Fill out the Supplement for International Applicants to make sure we have all the identification information to issue your complete and correct I-20.
  3. If you are already studying at a different university in the United States on an F-1 Student Visa, fill out the Transfer Eligibility Form to complete your transfer to the University of Denver.
  4. Pay the SEVIS fee: This fee must be paid online at least three days before your visa interview, in U.S. dollars, by credit card, check, or bank draft, drawn on a U.S. bank, or by Western Union Quick Pay. Further insturctions will be provided upon I-20 issuance. ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE FORWARDED TO GRADUATE LEGAL STUDIES AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Please send pertinent documentation in PDF file format your point of contact in the GLS office, or to
  5. Apply for Visa Interview: All visa applicants are required to be interviewed. You must make an appointment with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an in-person interview as early as possible.

Please click here for more information on how to obtain your I-20/SEVIS documentation.

Sturm College of Law
University of Denver
2255 E. Evans Avenue
Denver, CO 80208