Master's and LLM Degrees

International Students FAQ

What is the English Conditional Admission (ECA)?

ECA allows students to be considered for conditional admission without submitting TOEFL or IELTS score and pursue English language studies at the University of Denver English Language Center. ECA is also available to those who have taken the TOEFL/IELTS but have not met the minimum score requirement for our programs. Please note that ECA is available for all LLM and Master programs except for the Master of Science in Legal Administration. For more information click here.

Where do I apply for a US visa?

All information about applying for a US visa can be found here. Additional information is provided here and on the ISSS website.

What is an I-20?

An I-20 form is the official government document which certifies that a person is eligible to apply for an F-1 student visa on behalf of the University of Denver. This form is not automatically generated for non-immigrants. It is issued once students are accepted to a full-time program and show that they have enough financial resources to cover one year of academic study. The I-20 is then used to apply for an F-1 visa at a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

What is an F-1 Student Visa?

The F1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows international students to enter into the U.S. to attend a full course of study at colleges, universities and language training programs.

How do I get an I-20?

You must first apply and be admitted to the University of Denver. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will then issue an I-20 once the appropriate financial verification is received. Financial verification should come in the form of an original bank letter on bank letterhead stating that funds are available in the amount stated on the I-20. You should be enrolled in a minimum of 8 credit hours per semester/quarter to maintain your visa status.

How do I send financial verification?

Fill out the Financial Verification Form and send original bank documents. Students requesting an I-20 to apply for an F-1 Student Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for at least the first year of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. It is assumed that this amount will be available for each additional year of study. Students requesting a DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for the duration of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. All financial documents can be scanned and emailed at or mailed to the Graduate Legal Studies office at:

Graduate Legal Studies
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
2255 East Evans Avenue, Suite 390
Denver, CO 80208

What else do I need?

You also need to fill out the Supplement for International Applicants to make sure we have all the identification information to issue your complete and correct I-20.

How do I apply if I am a transfer student from another US university?

If you are already studying at a different university in the United States on an F-1 Student Visa, fill out the SEVIS Transfer Supplement Form to complete your transfer to the University of Denver.

When do I need to send all the documents to Graduate Legal Studies?

You need to send all the documents as soon as you are able to.

How long does it take to process the documents?

It takes 2-3 weeks for processing all the documents.

What is SEVIS?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is used to track and monitor US schools; exchange visitor programs; and F, M and J non-immigrants while they visit the United States and participate in the US education system. All student and exchange visitors are required to pay the SEVIS fee. Please ensure you pay the SEVIS fee three business days before your US visa interview.

When should I apply for a US visa interview?

You must make an appointment with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an in-person interview as early as possible. You can schedule an interview before you have paid the SEVIS fee. Please make sure to schedule your interview for such time when you would have all the required documents in your possession.

Am I allowed to work in the US while studying?

Yes, international students may work on campus a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session and a maximum of 37.5 hours during vacations. On-campus positions are extremely limited. After nine consecutive months of enrollment, and under very limited circumstances, students may apply for permission to work off campus through the International Student and Scholar Services office. Dependents of students holding an F-1 Student Visa are not permitted to work under any circumstances.

Can international LLM students gain practical legal experience in the United States?

International LLM students may have options to gain practical legal experience during and after their LLM programs. The staff in the International Student and Scholar Services office can talk with students about employment eligibility for F-1 and J-1 students. Please keep in mind that the US legal job market is a competitive one and that LLM graduates should set realistic expectations for any employment during or after their LLM program. The Career Development & Opportunities staff is happy to talk with you about your career goals and about opportunities that fit your goals, skills, and experience.

Sturm College of Law
University of Denver
2255 E. Evans Avenue
Denver, CO 80208