Master's and LLM Degrees

Graduate Tax Program FAQ

How and when do I register for classes?

All students who are eligible to register will do so online using web registration. You will receive an email once registration is open.


1. Enter the registration website at: The first time you access Pioneerweb, your password will be your birthdate in mmddyy format. You will be prompted to change your password at that time.

2. Select the “MyWeb” tab and then click on “Student Services and Financial Aid”.


1. Click on “Registration”.

2. Select “Term”. (Autumn Quarter 20XX)

3. Select “Add/Drop Classes”.

4. You will need the CRN for each course. Double check that you are using the right schedule, onsite or online.

5. Once you add or drop a class, finalize your transactions by clicking “submit changes”. Your classes will be listed, and you are now registered!

6. You may exit the registration area, and you may print your schedule from the web.


Click on the myWeb tab in webCentral. Go to Student & Financial Aid. Click on the link for Registration. Go to Student Schedule by Day and Time for your class schedule.

Is there a specified order in which classes must be taken?

There is not a strict order, but there are some guidelines. In general, full-time students who start the program in the fall and wish to complete the program in four quarters should take Individual Tax Problems, Property Transactions or Corporate Tax I, and Research & Writing in their first quarter. Partnership Taxation is one of the most difficult courses in the program and should be taken towards the end. Corporate Tax I is a prerequisite for Corporate Tax II and III (but II is not a prerequisite for III); Estate & Gift Taxation is a prerequisite for Estate Planning; and Corporate Tax I and III and Partnership Taxation are all prerequisites for Strategic Tax Planning. Otherwise, courses may be taken in any order. Click here for a chart that will help you plan your course of study. You may also contact the Graduate Legal Studies office to set up an appointment.

When are course materials ready?

If you’d like to purchase books/materials online, the website is: Otherwise you can wait and buy them on campus at the main book store location; buying them online now and picking them up from the store is recommended, as they will pull the books from the shelf when you purchase them, ensuring that you get the books you need. Not all materials may be listed as some course packets are loaded to your course’s Canvas page.

On the website, select Books/Textbooks and Course Materials. Make sure you select “DU” as your program and not DU Law School. Your department is TAX. Classes can then be searched for by course number.

All new GTP degree-seeking students are required to have a copy of the IRS Code for exams, as not all tests permit the use of computers and electronic resources. The book store has listed the IRS Code and Treasury Regulations under TAX-1000. You may choose to buy a copy of the Treasury Regulations or you can access those via Lexis or Westlaw. Lexis and Westlaw access to new students will be provided at orientation.

I need to change my exam date. What is the procedure?

If you re in need any special accommodations or if exam date changes are needed, please e-mail the Director of Registration and Records, Ms. Sarah Sweetman                            

How do I get my grades?

Grades are available over the Internet at PioneerWeb. Your login is your student I.D. number (printed on your Pioneer I.D. card), and your PIN the first time you log in is your 6-digit birthday (MMDDYY).

How do I know whether I’m a Master of Taxation or LLM candidate?

If you will have earned a J.D. (law degree) before you begin the Graduate Tax Program, when you complete the program you will have an LLM (Master of Laws) in taxation. If you do not have a law degree, you will earn the Master of Taxation. The same courses are required for both degrees.

A dual degree program is also available for University of Denver law students to earn a J.D. and LL.M. concurrently.

What is the minimum GMAT score you will accept?

There is no minimum GMAT score cutoff. Admission decisions are based on a review of all application materials submitted.

I have (or will have) a J.D. Do I have to take the GMAT?

No, lawyers may submit an LSAT score instead of GMAT scores.

How do I translate between quarter hours and semester hours?

Three quarter hours are equivalent to two semester hours, because a quarter is approximately 10 weeks long while a semester is usually 15 weeks. Therefore, the 45 quarter hours required for the Graduate Tax Program are the same as 30 semester hours (one year of academic work).

What firms recruit on campus?

All the Big Four accounting firms, as well as selected local firms, come to campus to recruit our students. The firms that interviewed Graduate Tax students on campus in the fall of 2014 included:

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
Deloitte LLP
Ernst & Young, LLP
Grant Thornton, LLP
Richey May & Co.
Anton Collins Mitchell LLP
Moss Adams LLP
Hein & Associates LLP
Eide Bailly LLP
GHP Horwath

Students who do not find jobs during the fall recruitment activities or who wish to work for law firms receive additional job search assistance.

What financial aid is available?

Students who participated in the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition as undergraduates and those who are members of Beta Alpha Psi are invited to apply for scholarships to the Graduate Tax Program. The deadline for application is March 1st. Scholarships for continuing students (not available for the student’s first quarter) are also available, apply here. Students should apply no later than two weeks before the quarter starts. Please click here for more information on federal loans and scholarships.

I am a law student at the University of Denver. Can I get a dual degree?

Yes, a J.D./LL.M. dual degree program has recently been approved. Fifteen quarter hours (10 semester hours) of approved course work in the Graduate Tax Program are accepted toward the 90 semester hours required for the J.D. degree. For more information, click here.

Sturm College of Law
University of Denver
2255 E. Evans Avenue
Denver, CO 80208