Professor of the Practice of Law
Director, Corporate and Commercial Law Program
Stacey Bowers is a Professor of the Practice at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where she teaches in the corporate area. She first started teaching as an adjunct professor at the law school in 2002.
After graduating with her J.D. in 1992 from the University of Denver, she practiced law for 15 years specializing in corporate and securities law. Stacey started her career at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. in the division of Corporation Finance. She was securities counsel for two public companies during and after their initial public offerings and also worked in private practice for a number of years.
In addition to her law degree, Stacey holds a BS in accounting from the University of Pittsburgh and an MLIS and PhD in Curriculum & Instruction from the University of Denver Morgridge College of Education.
- Ph.D., Curriculum & Instruction, University of Denver, 2010
- MLIS, Library & Information Science, University of Denver, 2006
- JD, Law, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 1992
- BS, Business/Accounting, University of Pittsburgh, 1988
Licensure / Accreditations
- California Law License
- Colorado Law License
- Capital Formation and Regulation Concise Hornbook, St. Paul, MN: West Academic Publishing (forthcoming).
- ACCOUNTING AND CORPORATE FINANCE FOR LAWYERS (Wolters Kluwer 2018).
- MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS SIMULATIONS (West 2019).
- Haas, Jeffrey J. & Bowers, Stacey L., Learning Business Associations, Cases and Materials, St. Paul, MN (West Academic Publishing) (in progress).
- Chapter 23. Transactional Lawyering, in L. Wortham, A. Scherr, N. Maurer, & S. Brooks (Eds.), Learning from Practice, 3rd edition. St. Paul, MN (West Academic Publishing 2016) (co-authored with Ann Vessels (lead author) and Mark Popielarski).
- Nasdaq Continues to Endorse Diversity in the Board Room, Denver, CO, TheRacetotheBottom.org (August 19, 2021).
- SEC Proposed Rule Could Have a Detrimental Impact on Activist Investors, Denver, CO, TheRacetotheBottom.org (November 29, 2019).
- What is the PCAOB and What Does it Do? Denver, CO, TheRacetotheBottom.org (September 21, 2018).
Did Board Diversity Change in 2021? Denver, CO: TheRacetotheBottom.org (February 18, 2022).
What About Other Types of Diversity That Are Lacking in the Boardroom? Denver, CO: TheRacetotheBottom.org (January 16, 2022).
Who is Paying Attention to Board Diversity at Private Companies? Denver, CO: TheRacetotheBottom.org (October 6, 2021).