Before Applying for the Bar
- Complete Steps 1-4 of the Graduation Checklist, emailed by the Registrar’s Office within the first two weeks of each semester. . Do not miss this step!
- Visit the Graduation Vendors page to see when certain vendors are coming to campus, including a fingerprinting service which is helpful for completing your fingerprint card for the bar exam application.
Watch the “Demystifying the Bar Exam” presentation given by DU Alumnae, Pat Mellen. This presentation gives you valuable information about what’s included on the bar exam, tips and tricks to success, and what you can be doing now in your legal education to best prepare.
- Download the PowerPoint: Demystifying_the_Bar_Final_Version.pdf
- Watch a recorded version of the presentation here: https://du-denverlaw.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=a7862f04-e81e-4a87-ad04-31e80ffaa762
Bar Application Website
The Office of Attorney Admissions under the Colorado Supreme Court processes applications for the Colorado bar and administers the Colorado bar exam. The application process and bar exam administration is entirely operated by the Office of Attorney Admissions. CLICK HERE for the COLORADO BAR EXAMINATION WEBSITE.
From this webpage, you can get information about the following:
- Important dates, including application deadlines
- Login for the Applicant Portal (the bar application is an online portal)
- Application instructions and bar exam information
- Fingerprint submission requirements
- National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) practice exams
- ADA testing accommodations
- And much, much more!
The Office of Attorney Admissions is the only source that can address questions about filling out the application. Questions can be submitted through a messaging feature in your Applicant Portal.
Denver Law also hosts a Navigating the Bar Admissions Process presentation presented by the Colorado Office of Attorney Admissions:
Tuesday, January 30, 2018
- 12:00-1:00pm | Room 165
- 4:30-5:30pm | Room 270
The Colorado Lawyer’s Assistance Program (COLAP) will also be available at Denver Law on Tuesday, 1/30 from 1:15-4:30 p.m. in for private, confidential appointments for individuals who have questions or concerns about the character and fitness portion of the bar exam or for any other personal matters.
Character & Fitness
If you have questions or concerns about items related to your Character & Fitness part of your application, you can contact the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, Colorado Lawyers Assistance Program, or find a lawyer who specializes in bar exam admissions issues for guidance.
Commercial Bar Prep Courses
Barbri, Themis, and Kaplan are three commercial bar preparation courses that Denver Law provides space to table and enroll students throughout the school year for either the winter or summer bar prep courses. These courses typically run 8-10 weeks leading up to the bar exam. Contact your local representatives for information about their respective commercial bar prep courses.
DU Bar Success Program
The DU Bar Success Program is a free program to Denver Law graduates to assist with passing the bar exam. The course is designed to operate congruently with the commercial bar prep courses and gives excellent opportunities for practice with writing workshops and mock bar exams. Visit the DU Bar Success Program website or contact Prof. Scott Johns for more information.