- DU regained the “bragging rights” trophy from CU on February 3rd when Alison Davis and Theresa Sauer won the 2008 Hogan & Hartson Cup 1L Mock Trial Competition! Congratulations also to Christian Griffin and Adam Bailey for making it to the semifinals, and to Emily Teel, Phil McGrane, Max Gad, and James Cordes for making it to the quarterfinals!
- Congratulations to the winners of the 7th Annual ABA Law Student Tax Challenge, determined through oral and written arguments in semi-final and final competition rounds at the ABA Tax Section Midyear Meeting last month in Lake Las Vegas, NV. LL.M. Division Results: 2nd Place, Kelly Young and Hailley Joyner. LL.M. Finalists: Julie Karavas and Michelle Jez, Cynthia Schlegel and Melissa Webber.
- The SCOL Jessup International Moot Court Team – Nicole Salamander, Captain, Dana Bilkiss, Matthew Cooper, Matthew Dardenne, and Krishma Parsad – successfully competed for a spot in the World competition, to be held in early April in Washington. More than 140 law schools competed in six regionals this weekend. From each region two teams are selected for the World competition, which also will have participation of selected international teams from about 50 countries. Our team competed in the Houston regional and is one of the twelve US teams to move on. The team worked extremely hard under the leadership of our Jessup Coach, John Powell, who was the Editor in Chief of the Denver Journal of International Law and Policy several years ago, and Nicole Salamander, who was the captain. Three of the top ten oralists were from our team, with Krishma Parsad ranking second.
- Congratulations to the law school’s ABA Trial Team which competed recently in the regional tournament of the 33rd Annual National Trial Competition sponsored by the American College of Trial Attorneys and The Texas Young Lawyers Association. The seven state regional tournament was hosted this year by the University of New Mexico School of Law. For the second year in a row, the University of Denver Sturm College of Law advanced both of its teams to the “Elite Eight.” But this year, both of the teams accomplished a rare feat. Both teams, one comprised of Brad Moloney and Kyle McCarthy, and the other comprised of Michelle Chostner and Sheena Moran, advanced all the way to the Finals.
- Jack Hobaugh‘s paper for Ocean & Coastal Law & Policy appears in the current issue of Natural Resources & Environment.
- Joshua Prok‘s paper for Renewable Energy & Project Finance Law (“Interstate Wind: Using New Technology to Enhance Transportation Fuel Investments”) has been accepted for publication in the Transportation Law Journal, volume 35:1.