Faculty & Staff Directory
Faculty PublicationsView Profile »
Professor and Animal Legal Defense Fund Professor of Law
- Free Speech and Democracy in the Video Age, co-authored with Alan Chen, forthcoming 116 Colum. L. Rev. ____ (2016).
- High Value Lies, Ugly Truths and the First Amendment, co-authored with Alan Chen, forthcoming 69 Vand. L. Rev. ____ (2015).
- Brief of Habeas Corpus Scholars and Professors as Amici Curiae Supporting Petitioner Appellee Ernest Dewayne Jones and Supporting Affirmation (March 29, 2015).
- Remember Not to Forget Furman: A Response to Professor Smith, co-authored with Sam Kamin, Iowa Law Bulletin, forthcoming (2015).
- Is Guilt Dispositive? Federal Habeas after Martinez, 55 William & Mary Law Review 2071 (2014).
- Waking the Furman Giant, co-authored with Sam Kamin, UC Davis Law Review, forthcoming.
- Double Reasonableness and the Fourth Amendment, co-authored with Sam Kamin, 68 University of Miami Law Review 3 (2014).
- ADJUDICATIVE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (co-author) West, expected Fall (2013).
- Plurality Decisions: Acoustic Separation & Upward Flowing Precedent, 45 Conn. L. Rev. 933 (2013).
- Vicarious Aggravators, co-authored with S. Kamin, 65 Fla. L. Rev. 769 (2013).
- Gideon’s Shadow , 122 Yale L. J. 2482 (2013).
- Many are Eligible Few are Chosen: An Empirical Study of Colorado’s Death Penalty, co-authored with S. Kamin & W. Foglia, 84 Col. L. Rev. 1069 (2013).
- The Cost of Colorado's Death Penalty, co-authored with Hollis A. Whitson , (2013).
- Taking Voluntariness Seriously, co-authored with Ian Farrell, 54 Boston College L. Rev.1545 (2013).
- Remedying Pretrial Ineffective Assistance, Tex. Tech. L. Rev. (2012).
- Challenging the Habeas Process Rather than the Result , 69 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 85 (2012).
- Embracing a New Era of Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, 14 U. Penn. J. Const. L 1161 (2012).
- The Freezing of the Fourth Amendment, SEARCH & SEIZURE LAW REPORT (2012).
- Arizona's Ring Cycle, 44 Ariz. St. L.J. 1061 (2012).
- Colorado's Constitutional Conundrum, 89 Denv. U. L.R. 327 (2012).
- FEDERAL HABEAS CORPUS: CASES AND MATERIALS, 2d. ed. (co-author), Carolina Academic Press (2011).
- The Fourth Amendment at a Three-Way Stop, 62 Ala. L. Rev. 687 (2011).
- The Facts About Ring v. Arizona, and the Jury’s Role in Capital Sentencing, co-authored with Sam Kamin, 13 U. Penn. J. Const. L 529 (2011).
- Don’t Forget Due Process: The Path Not (Yet) Taken in § 2254 Litigation, 62 Hastings L.J. 1 (2010).
- Lifting the Haze of Baze: Lethal Injection, the Eighth Amendment, and Plurality Opinions, 41 Ariz. St. L.J. 159 (2009).
- Un-Incorporating the Bill of Rights: The Tension Between the Fourteenth Amendment and the Federalism Concerns That Underlie Modern Criminal Procedure Reforms, J. Crim. Law & Criminology (2008).
- Deference and Doubt: The Interaction of AEDPA §§ 2254(d)(2) & (e)(1), 82 Tul. L. Rev. 385 (2007).
- Certiorari Grants in 2254 Cases, An Empirical Study , (in progress).