Faculty PublicationsView Profile »
J. Robert Brown, Jr.
- Essay: Law Faculty Blogs and Disruptive Innovation, 2 Journal of Law (1. J. Legal Metrics) 525 (2013).
- Essay: The Politicization of Corporate Governance: Bureaucratic Discretion, the SEC, and Shareholder Ratification of Auditors , to be published by the Harvard Business Law Review (2012).
- Corporate Governance: Cases and Materials, book chapter, Lexis-Nexis (2012).
- Dodd-Frank, Compensation Ratios, and the Expanding Role of Shareholders in the Governance Process, 2 HARV. BUS. L. REV. ONLINE 91 (2011).
- Returning Fairness to Executive Compensation, North Dakota Law Review, Vol. 84 (2009).
- Opting Only In: Nexus of Contracts and Waiver of Liability Provisions, co-authored with Gopalan, 42 Indiana L. Rev. 285 (2009).
- The SEC, Corporate Governance, and Shareholder Access to the Board Room, 2008 Utah L. Rev. 1339.
- Of Empires, Independents and Captives: Law Blogging, Law Scholarship, and Law School Rankings, U Denver Legal Studies Research Paper No. 08-04 (2008).
- Disclosure, Corporate Governance, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Limits of Disclosure, 57 Catholic Law Review 45 (Fall 2007).
- Of Blogs, Law School Rankings, and Accessing the Blogosphere, U Denver Legal Studies Research Paper No. 07-33, posted July 28, 2007.
- Disloyalty without Limits: “Independent” Directors and the Elimination of the Duty of Loyalty, 95 Ky L. Rev. 53 (2006-2007).
- Criticizing the Critics: Sarbanes-Oxley and Quack Corporate Governance, 90 Marquette L. Rev. 309 (Winter 2006).
- The Irrelevance of State Law in the Governance of Public Corporations, 38 University of Richmond Law Review 317 (January 2004), cited in Kramer v. Liberty Prop. Trust, 2009 Md. LEXIS 34 n. 13 (Md. Ct. App. March 23, 2009).
- Speaking with Complete Candor: Shareholder Ratification and the Elimination of the Duty of Loyalty, 54 Hastings Law Review 641 (March 2003).
- Neutral Assignment of Judges at the Court of Appeals, co-authored with Lee, 78 Texas L. Rev. 1037 (April 2000), cited as authority in Jenkins v. Bellsouth Corp., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27582 (ND Ala. Sept. 13, 2002).
- Corporate Governance Reform in the Former Soviet Union, co-authored with Shkurupiy, 7 Columbia Journal of Eastern European Affairs 629 (2000).
- Judge Warren Jones and the Supreme Court of Dixie, co-authored with Lee and Shakely, 59 Louisiana State University Law Journal 209 (Fall 1998).
- Culture, Chaos and Capitalism: Privatization in Kazakhstan, 19 Pa.J.Int'l Economic Law 909 (Winter 1998).
- Of Banks, Brokers and the Case for Regulatory Intervention in the Russian Securities Markets, 32 Stanford International Law Journal 185 (1996).
- Order from Disorder and the Development of the Russian Securities Markets, 15 U. Pa. J. Int'l Business Law 509 (Winter 1995).
- The Great Fall: The Consequences of Repealing the Glass-Steagall Act, 2 Stanford J. of Law, Bus. & Finance 129 (Fall 1995).
- Industrial Policy and the Dangers of Emulating Japan, 27 George Washington J. of Int'l Law and Economics 1 (1994).
- The Japanese Administrative State and the Regulation of Advertisements by Investment Advisors, 12 UCLA Pacific Basin Law Review 237 (Spring 1994).
- Japanese Banking Reform and the Occupation Legacy: Decompartmentalization, Deregulation, and Decentralization, 21 Denver J. Int'l Law 361 (1993).
- The Duty of Candor, 2 J. Corp. Disc. & Conf. 341 (1991).
- Discrimination, Managerial Discretion and the Corporate Contract, 26 Wake Forest Law Review 541 (1991).
- Mandatory Disclosure of Beneficial Ownership, 1 J. Corp. Disc. & Conf. 241 (1990).
- In Defense of Management Buyouts, 65 Tulane L. Rev. 57 (1990).
- Rationalizing The Disclosure Process: The Summary Annual Report, co-authored with Detore, 39 Case Western Law Review 39 (March 1989), reprinted in SECURITIES LAW REVIEW (Clark Boardman; 1990).
- Regulatory Intervention in the Market for Corporate Control, 23 U.C. (Davis) L. Rev. 1 (1989).
- The Shareholder Communication Rules and the Securities & Exchange Commission: An Exercise in Regulatory Utility or Futility?, 13 J. of Corp. Law 683 (1988), cited in Delaware v. New York, 507 U.S. 490 (1993); Krim v. pcOrder.com, 402 F.3d 489 (5th Cir. March 1, 2005); Regulation of Securityholder Communications, Exchange Act Release No. 29315 (June 17, 1991).
- Corporate Secrecy, the Federal Securities Laws, and the Disclosure of Ongoing Negotiations, 36 Cath. L. Rev. 93 (1987), cited favorably in Basic, Inc. v. Levinson, 485 U.S. 224 n.12 (1988).
- Corporate Communications and the Federal Securities Laws, 53 George Wash. L. R. 741 (1985), cited in In re Intelligroup Secs. Litig., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 95735 (D. NJ Dec. 20, 2006); and in Acceleration of Periodic Report Filing Dates and Disclosure Concerning Website Access to Reports, Exchange Act Release No. 45741, n. 24 (April 12, 2002); The Regulation of Securities Offerings, Securities Act Release No. 7606A (Nov. 13, 1998); Regulation of Takeovers and Security Holder Communications, Securities Act Release No. 7607 (Nov. 3, 1998).
- Reassessing United States Policy in the Persian Gulf, Global Perspectives 47 (Spring 1984).
- The Witness and Grand Jury Secrecy, 11 Amer. J. of Crim. Law 169 (1983), reprinted in CRIMINAL LAW REVIEW (1984); cited in Butterworth v. Smith, 494 U.S. 624 (1990); McClatchy Newspapers v. Superior Court Of Fresno Cty, 44 Cal. 3d 1162; 751 P.2d 1329; 1988 Cal. LEXIS 85; 245 Cal. Rptr. 774; 15 Media L. Rep. 1529 (Cal. 1988).