Star L. Waring is a shareholder in the Boulder law firm of Dietze and Davis, P.C. where her practice focuses on water law and natural resources law. She has extensive trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings related to water law. She has worked on several high profile appeals involving water rights during her 33 year career.
Ms. Waring attending the University of Wisconsin Law School and she is a 1979 graduate of the University Of Colorado School of Law. She is an active member of the Colorado Bar Association where she serves on the Executive Council of the Water Law Section and the Boulder County Bar Association where she is currently an officer.
Ms. Waring has lectured and written extensively on numerous topics related to water law, including:
- Co-author: Non-Indian Federal Reserved Rights, 58 Den. L.J. 783 (1981).
- Co-Author: Water Rights Title and Conveyancing, 28 The Colorado Lawyer 69 (May, 1999).
- Co-Author with Lori Potter: Build It and They Will Come for Gravel, 31 The Colorado Lawyer 67 (March, 2002).
- Author: Water Law, Annual Survey of Colorado Law (1981, 1982, and 1983).
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Adjunct Professor – Water Law, Spring, 2011; Spring, 2012 and Fall 2012;
- University of Denver Water Law Symposium, “The FRICO Case,” April, 2012;
- CLE International, Denver, “Water Court Appeals,” December, 2011;
- DARCA Workshop at University of Colorado Law School, “Issues and arguments in the FRICO Case,” December, 2010;
- CLE International, Denver, “Issues and Arguments in the ‘FRICO’ case,” May, 2010
- CLE International, Denver, “Representing the Seller in Water Rights Transactions,” December, 2009;
- Colorado Bar Association, Denver, “Preparing a Title Opinion on Water Rights,” April, 2006;
- Boulder Bar Association, “Ditch Easement Law,” February, 2004;
- University of Colorado Engineering School, Denver, Guest Lecture on Water Law, Fall, 1983;
- Arapahoe Community College, Littleton, Instructor, Water Law for Engineers and Paralegals, Spring, 1982
Ms. Waring has been endorsed as an expert witness in water law and title matters in District Courts in Douglas, Gilpin and Weld counties.
In her spare time, she likes to travel internationally, read, hike the mountains of Colorado, attend independent films and spend time with family and friends. She is also involved in a number of community service projects.