Comparative Environmental Law
European Union Environmental Law & Policy
European Union Law
View Now »
Don C. Smith
Environmental and Natural Resources Law
Professor of the Practice and Director
Director, Environmental & Natural Resources Law & Policy Graduate Program
University of Kansas, B.S., with distinction, 1976
Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1979
University of Leicester (England) Faculty of Law, LL.M., with distinction, 2001
Don C. Smith is the Director of the Environmental and Natural Resources Law JD and Graduate Programs at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. He specializes in environmental law, with particular emphasis on environmental law and policy of the European Union.
Mr. Smith formerly worked as a water policy advisor for Kansas Gov. John W. Carlin. After leaving Gov. Carlin’s office he served as the governor’s appointee to the Kansas Water Commission.
He practiced natural resources law before joining the legal publishing arm of McGraw-Hill, where he was an associate publisher. He has also served as a publisher for an Anglo-Dutch publishing company, Reed-Elsevier, where he was responsible for a series of publications (e.g., “The Air Pollution Consultant” and “The Hazardous Waste Consultant”) about U.S. environmental law. He has also had extensive experience working on publications involving European Union environmental and energy policy.
He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, the Colorado Bar Association, the International Bar Association (IBA), and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation.
He serves as editor-in-editor of the Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, a peer-reviewed publication affiliated with the Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law Section of the IBA. He serves on the editorial advisory board for the Manual of European Environmental Policy.
Mr. Smith and Judge David Edward, who served on the Court of Justice of the European Union from 1992-2004, have collaborated on a “first of its kind” web-based oral history involving the life and career of Judge Edward. The oral history includes nearly 15 hours of streaming video and audio as well as the full-text of nearly 100 articles written by Judge Edward, who is widely recognized as one of the most influential judges ever to sit on the Court of Justice.
To commemorate the 60th anniversary of the April 1951 signing of the Treaty of Paris, which established the European Coal and Steel Community, he produced a documentary Jean Monnet: Father of Europe. The documentary features the life and career of Mr. Monnet, whose ideas established the underpinnings of today’s European Union. The documentary was filmed in Europe.
Mr. Smith began teaching at the Sturm College of Law in the spring of 2002.
- Social License to Operate: Hydraulic Fracturing-Related Challenges Facing the Oil & Gas Industry, co-authored with Jessica Marie Richards , Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and the Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law of the International Bar Association Special Institute on International Mining and Oil & Gas Law, Development and Investment, Cartagena, Columbia, April 22, 2015.
- Energy and the Environment: An International Perspective (chapter) in forthcoming revised edition International Law & Policy for the 21st Century 2nd Ed. (V. Nanda and George “Rock” Pring, editors).
- The Miraculous Dawn of the European Union, 60 Years Ago Today, Forbes.com, April 18, 2011.
- Políticas de energía y cambio climático de los Estados Unidos al inicio de la administración Obama: Legislación, regulación o ambas, ” (“Energy and Climate Change Policies in the United States at the beginning of the Obama Administration: Legislation, Regulation, or Both) 19 Revista de Derecho Ambiental 257 (2009).
- Opinion: Udall to Battle it out for Senate, Renewable Energy Focus, September/October 2007, at 20.