César Cuauhtémoc García Hernández
Visiting Assistant Professor
Boston College Law School, JD, 2007
Brown University, AB, 2002
César Cuauhtémoc García Hernández is a visiting professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. He publishes crImmigration.com, a blog about the convergence of criminal and immigration law that is a past recipient of the 100 best law blogs honor by the ABA Journal. In 2014, In 2014, he was presented with the Derrick A. Bell, Jr. Award by the Association of American Law Schools Section on Minority Groups, an honor issued to a “junior faculty member who, through activism, mentoring, colleagueship, teaching and scholarship, has made an extraordinary contribution to legal education, the legal system or social justice.”
César’s academic interests also center on crimmigration law, including teaching a seminar on the topic and having published articles about the right to counsel for immigrants in the criminal justice system, immigration imprisonment, and race-based immigration policing in the California Law Review, UCLA Law Review, BYU Law Review, Maryland Law Review, and Georgetown Immigration Law Journal, among others. His book, tentatively titled Crimmigration Law, will be published by the American Bar Association in 2015. In addition to teaching a crimmigration law seminar, he teaches Immigration Law, Criminal Procedure, and Torts.
- Naturalizing Immigration Imprisonment, 103 California Law Review --- (forthcoming 2015).
- Immigration Law by Proxy: The Case of Colorado’s Human Smuggling Crime, 92 Denver University Law Review Online 41 (2015).
- The Life of Crimmigration Law, Denver University Law Review, Vol. 92, No. 4 (2015).
- CrImmigration Law (American Bar Association Publishing forthcoming 2014).
- Immigration Detention As Punishment, 61 UCLA Law Review 1346 (2014).