Advanced Family Law
View Now »
Angela R. Arkin
B.A., University of Maryland
J.D., Emory University School of Law
Angela R. Arkin has been a District Court Judge in the 18th Judicial District since September, 2002. Judge Arkin received her BA in 1980 from the University of Maryland, College Park, and is her JD from Emory Law School in 1983. Judge Arkin is licensed in Colorado, Georgia and the District of Columbia. She began her judicial career in August, 2000 by serving as a District Court Magistrate in Arapahoe County with a domestic and juvenile docket. She is currently handling a 100% domestic docket in Douglas County. Prior to her current assignment, Judge Arkin has served as a District Judge in Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln Counties, with mixed dockets including criminal, civil, probate, mental health, juvenile and domestic cases.
Judge Arkin has been a frequent lecturer and author in the areas of family law, DNA evidence, and jurisdiction. She was a member of the committee that drafted and helped enact Colorado’s Parental Responsibility statute, and was actively involved in the legislative effort to pass the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act. Judge Arkin currently is Chair of the CBA Judicial Liaison Section, Chairs the 18th Judicial District CLE Committee, and is Immediate Past President of the Colorado District Judges Association, amongst many other professional activities. Additionally, she is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Denver College of Law, and a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
1. A.R. Arkin, The UCAPA: Preventing Child Abduction, Chapter 30 in THE PRACTITIONER’S GUIDE TO COLORADO DOMESTIC RELATIONS LAW (2008), Update (2009), Update (2010), Update (2012), Update (2013).
2. A.R. Arkin and B. Elliott-Dumler, A View from the Bench, Chapter C3 in THE ROLE OF THE CHILD AND FAMILY INVESTIGATOR AND CHILD’S LEGAL REPRESENTATIVE IN COLORADO (2007), Update (2008), Update (2009), Update (2011).
3. A.R. Arkin, The UCCJEA and PKPA, Chapter 15 in DOMESTIC RELATIONS LAW AND ORDERS (Fourth Edition), A PUBLICATION OF THE COLORADO BAR ASSOCIATION, FAMILY LAW SECTION (2006), Update (2009), Update (2012).
4. A.R. Arkin, Interstate Issues, Chapter 39 in THE PRACTITIONER’S GUIDE TO COLORADO DOMESTIC RELATIONS LAW (2005); Update (2007), Update (2008), Update (2009), Update (2010), Update (2012), Update (2013).
5. A.R. Arkin, Colorado’s Uniform Interstate Family Support Act: 2004 Changes and Clarifications, VOL. 33, NO. 11, THE COLORADO LAWYER 77 (2004).
6. A.R. Arkin, Interstate Family Law Jurisdiction: Simplifying Complex Questions, VOL. 31, NO. 9, THE COLORADO LAWYER 77 (2002).
7. E. Henson, J. McWilliams, B. Quade, and A. Arkin, Domestic Relations Law and Orders (Third Edition), A PUBLICATION OF THE COLORADO BAR ASSOCIATION, FAMILY LAW SECTION (2002).
8. A.R. Arkin, The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (Part II) , VOL. 29, NO. 10, THE COLORADO LAWYER 81 (2000).
9. A.R. Arkin, The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (Part I) , VOL. 29, NO. 9, THE COLORADO LAWYER 73 (2000).
10. A.R. Arkin, and R.T. Hinds, III, Modification of Parenting Time And Decision Making (Custody) , VOL. 28, NO. 6, THE COLORADO LAWYER 75 (1999).
11. A.R. Arkin and R. Litvak, Property Division, Chapter 3 in THE COLORADO FAMILY LAW PRACTICE GUIDE, (1998).
12. A.R. Arkin, Trial of Marital Property Issues, Chapter 32 in FAMILY LAW LITIGATION GUIDE (1996).
13. A.R. Arkin, A Guide to Community Property, Chapter 38A in FAMILY LAW AND PRACTICE (1996).
14. A.R. Arkin, Establishing Paternity Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act: A Step Toward Simplicity, Chapter 7 in, SHATKIN, DISPUTED PATERNITY PROCEEDINGS (1996).
15. A.R. Arkin, Paternity Proceedings, Chapter 2 in SHATKIN, DISPUTED PATERNITY PROCEEDINGS (1994).
16. A. Arkin Byne, Evidentiary and Related Issues in Disputed Paternity Proceedings, CH. 3 in SHATKIN, DISPUTED PATERNITY PROCEEDINGS (1993).
17. A. Arkin Byne, Using DNA Evidence to Prove Paternity: What the Attorney Needs to Know, 19 FAM. L. REP. 3001 (1992).
18. A.R. Arkin, J.A. Irvine, Chapter 4, Domestic Relations, How Domestic Violence Affects Dissolution Actions, Pp. 120 – 138, COLORADO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BENCH BOOK (2011).
19. A.R. Arkin, Judges’ Corner, The Other Side of the Bench: Reflections on Ten Years in Family Court, VOL. 39, NO. 7, THE COLORADO LAWYER 93 (2010).