Public Interest Practicum
Critical Race Reading Seminar
Social Change Lawyering
Director of Public Interest
Public Interest Law
Assistant Professor of the Practice and Director of Public Interest
B.A., 2004, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
J.D., 2007, Harvard Law School
Alexi Freeman has a distinguished record working alongside low-income communities and communities of color as a racial justice and legal advocate. For six years, Freeman worked as a staff attorney at Advancement Project, a national civil rights group, where she assisted grassroots organizations across the country on social justice advocacy campaigns around education and juvenile justice policy, housing, and voting rights issues. Freeman is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Harvard Law School. While at Harvard Law, she was recognized for her work in public interest law and her leadership on campus. At Denver Law, she serves as the Director of Public Interest, as a lecturer within the Legal Externship program, and as the co-faculty administrators of the Critical Race Reading Seminar. She is a member of the National Association of Pro Bono Professionals and serves on the Board of Governors for the Society of American Law Teachers, which is a community of progressive law teachers working for justice, diversity, and academic excellence.
- It’s About Power, Not Policy: Rebellious Lawyering for Large-Scale Social Change, co-authored with Jim Freeman, 23 Clinical Law Review (forthcoming spring 2017).
- he Pledge for the Public Good: A Student-Led Initiative to Incorporate Morality and Justice in Every Classroom, co-authored with Katherine Steefel, 22(2) Washington and Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice (forthcoming spring 2016).
- Teaching for Change: How the Legal Academy Can Prepare the Next Generation of Social Justice Movement Lawyers, 59 Howard Law Journal 1 (forthcoming fall 2015).
- Getting Your Hands Dirty: New School Legal Education, 36 The Docket, Issue 1 (January 2014).
- Public Service at Denver Law, 43 The Colorado Lawyer 8, 97 (August 2014).