- MSLA Program
- Admissions Information
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- Contact MSLA
Classes I Registration I Banner ID and WebCentral I Blackboard I Email I Books I Lockers I LexisNexis and Westlaw I Technology I RTD Passes I Parking I Pioneer ID Card I Payments and Billing I MSLA Listserv and Job Opportunities | Immunizations | Health Insurance & Health and Counseling Fee | Laptop Requirements | Student Handbook | Contact MSLA |
Welcome to the MSLA program! Below you will find information that you will need throughout your time here at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. Please read through it carefully, and feel free to contact the MSLA office should you have any questions! We look forward to working with you!
Office Phone: 303.871.6308
Text or Calls: 303.847.8430
Fall classes begin on Monday, August 18, 2014. Please click here to access academic calendars and other important documents. We follow the same academic calendar as the law school and you may view their calendar here.
NOTE: Registration will be open on April 9.
All students will be able to register themselves for classes each term via WebCentral. Before registering, you are encouraged to meet with a program representative to discuss a course plan to make sure that you are meeting all class requirements for your concentration. Courseplans and course schedules can be found here. You are strongly encouraged to double check room assignments on the Registrar home page here, as room changes are made at the beginning of the term and this is the most current up to date listings of courses are room assignments.
To register, please follow these steps:
- Log in to WebCentral (if you are logging in to WebCentral for the first time, instructions are below)
- Click the “My Web” tab on the top of the screen
- Click on “Students and Financial Aid”
- Click on “Registration
- Click on “Select Term”. From the drop down list, select the corresponding term you would like to register for – remember, we are on the semester system!
- Click “Add/Drop Classes”. Enter the CRN number(s) for your desired course(s) at the bottom of the screen. The CRNs are listed on the class lists for each semester under “CRN”.
- Click “Submit Changes”. Note: Please make note of any errors that pop up at this point. If an error occurs, your registration for the class will be affected. If the status message on the right hand side of the screen reads “Web Registered”, you have successfully registered for the course(s).
- You may now navigate back to the “Registration” tab in My Web and print a copy of your schedule.
Banner ID and WebCentral
Your Banner ID is the 9-digit student number listed at the top of your welcome letter that you will use throughout your MSLA career. Each Banner ID is unique, but all start with 87. Your Banner ID is also referred to as a Student ID; these terms are used interchangeably across campus. It is needed for enrollment, and is often the username for DU applications, like Blackboard and WebCentral. If you can, it is helpful to memorize it. It will also be listed on your Student ID.
- Update/change your address
- View/accept financial aid awards
- Register for classes
- View your grades and academic progress report
- See your university bills
- Set emergency notification alerts
- Learn about university events/announcements
- Many more!
You will want to access WebCentral soon as you receive your banner ID. To access, navigate to your username and password are:
Username: Banner ID beginning 87
Password: If you are accessing WebCentral for the first time, your password is your birthday in MMDDYY form. You will then be asked to change your password to one of your choice. Once this new password is set, it will be used for both WebCentral and for Blackboard.
Blackboard is the course management software used for all online courses, including orientation. Many in-class courses use blackboard as well to post readings, the syllabus, etc. We have created a short tutorial video on how to use and navigate blackboard. Click here to watch!
Blackboard is best accessed in one of two ways:
- By navigating directly to blackboard.du.edu, or
- By going to the MSLA homepage and clicking on the Blackboard icon
To login, you will need your banner ID (which is your username) and WebCentral password. Note: you will need to setup your password in WebCentral before you can access blackboard.
All of the courses for which you are enrolled appear on the right side of the screen. This is where you will find the MSLA Orientation course.
Please feel free to click around in Blackboard. It is best to get to know the software and what your classes will look like before the start of class in August. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. If you are having technical difficulties with blackboard, please click here for help.
Email: DU and DU LAW
Your welcome letter contains both a DU (du.edu) and a DU LAW email address (law.du.edu). Please pay particular attention to this section as almost all of program and law school communication takes place via email.
Email sent to this address will automatically be forwarded to an email account of your choice. Forward your DU email address to your DU Law Exchange mailbox. To begin forwarding your DU email, log onto webCentral and select the “Personal Information” link under the “MyWeb” tab. Select “Update Email Addresses” and add the DU Law email you wish to forward your DU email to. Once you have selected an address, all email sent to DU (not your DU Law) will be forwarded to this address. – OR – Select the “Set your preferred email address” link from the “Students” tab in WebCentral. Then click the hyperlink of the address you wish to set as preferred. Check the “make this your preferred address” button and click submit. “Preferred” should now appear next to the selected address.
For more information on DU email and email forwarding, click here.
It is important that you maintain this forward or off-campus email box to insure that you receive all official email communications from the University as well as important information from faculty, staff and colleagues. You are responsible and held accountable for all messages sent to both accounts.
To access your DU LAW email:
- Go to the MSLA homepage and click on the student webmail login, or click here to be directly sent to the webmail login.
- Your username and password are:
Username: first initial, last name, graduation year (dsmith15)
Password: your 8 digit date of birth (entered MMDDYYYY)
- To change your password, please contact the Help Desk at 303.871.6464
- If you are having trouble accessing your E-mail online, please go to http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/technology/webmail/troubleshooting-email
All MSLA communication will be sent to your law school email account, including notifications about registration, financial aid and scholarships, important events and deadlines, class cancellations, etc. Professors will also use this email address to send out additional readings or assignments. You must check this email daily.
PLEASE NOTE: As forwarding email from your account is STRONGLY discouraged, many students find accessing their DU Law email through their smart phones to be beneficial. For step-by-step instructions on how to set up access to your DU Law account on your smart phone, please click here.
Books can be ordered through the DU Bookstore. The DU bookstore also lists the books required for each class.
- Click here to access the bookstore’s website
- Click on “Books”, then “Textbooks and Course Materials”
- Select “DU Law School” from the drop down menu
- Select “Summer Law 2014” from the next drop down menu
- Select “MSLA” from the next drop down menu
- Select your course ID from the next drop down menu
- Select your section ID from the next drop down menu
- Click “Submit”
- Once you have clicked submit, the required course materials will populate. You have the option to buy the books directly from the bookstore, or you may simply find the information here and locate them on Amazon, Half.com, etc.
If you have any questions about required course materials, please contact the MSLA office.
You may rent a locker for the school year for $20.00 (cash or check only please). You will need to have your Pioneer ID Card with you in order to rent a locker. Please visit the Student Affairs Office (Suite 215) for details. All proceeds will benefit the Student Bar Association.
LexisNexis and Westlaw
The MSLA office will supply you with LexisNexis and Westlaw passwords that you will need for the entire program. These passwords will be emailed to you the week of orientation. Please make sure to register with your password as soon as possible, as these passwords will expire.
Instructions for WestLaw Registration:
- Visit lawschool.westlaw.com
- Click Register password now! on the” lawschool.westlaw.com”:https://lawschool.westlaw.com/shared/signon10.asp?path=%2fDesktopDefault.aspx sign-on page.
- Click the link next to Registering for the First Time?
- Type your e-mail address in the text box and click Go.
- Type your Westlaw password in the text box and click Go.
- Complete the information requested, read the agreement, and click I Agree. You will receive a confirmation message and a follow-up e-mail.
Instructions for LexisNexis Registration:
- Visit” http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/register”:https://signin.lexisnexis.com/lnaccess/app/signin?aci=ls
- Enter your school registration code, your first and last name, and a VALID E-mail address
- Access the “Registration Instructions for Lexis Advance” E-Mail
- Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/step1
- Enter your Lexis Advance™ temporary ID and password from your e-mail
- Click “Sign In” and complete your profile to customize your ID and password
- Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/step2
- Enter your LexisNexis 7-digit Activation Code from the e-mail. NOTE: Your 7-character Activation Code may contain the numbers zero or one. It will never include a lowercase letter L or a capital letter O.
- Click the “NEXT” button.
- On the next page you will create a Custom ID and Password and choose a Security Question. USE THE SAME USERNAME AND PASSWORD YOU CREATED FOR LEXIS ADVANCE.
- Enter your name, email or other information as appropriate.
- To purchase Amazon.com gift certificates or other prizes with LexisNexis Rewards points, select Yes next to the question, “Do you want to participate in LexisNexis Rewards?”
- Click the “SUBMIT” button.
For instructions on how to set up printing, click here.
For instructions on how to set up wireless access, click here.
The MSLA program has a laptop requirement. For more information regarding this policy, please click here or contact the Technology Department at 303.871.3210. University students also receive discounts through Dell and Apple.
Technology at DU Law
The Sturm College of Law also has Educational Technology representatives who are happy to help you with any questions you have about laptops or required technology. They are in Room 255 in the Sturm College of Law and can be reached at 303.871.6464. Their website also provides detailed answers to a number of commonly asked questions. To access the help desk site, please click here.
The University is moving to a Smart Card system for buses and light rail. We were formally using a sticker, which was placed on our Pioneer ID card. To learn more about the SmartCards please go to the transportation website here.
Law school students can access and use Parking Garage L, which is connected to the law building. There are pay-to-park spaces, which cost $1.50/hr. Or, students may purchase parking permits. Because MSLA classes are all offered in the evening, students can opt to purchase evenings-only permit at a lower cost. The Parking Lot L- Nights/Weekends permit is valid after 4:00 pm M-F and all day on weekends. Permits are valid for one academic year. For those of you purchasing permits for the Spring, you will likely be prorated. Please contact Parking Services directly by clicking here.
The cost for L permits for 2013-2014 are as follows:
Parking Lot L – All the time: $486.00
Parking Lot L – Nights/Weekends: $168.00
Parking services is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Pioneer ID Card
All students (including those attending only online) are required to have a Pioneer ID Card. You will use this card for discounts at local vendors, on computers, and to access the parking garage. To learn more about the Pioneer ID Cards, click here.
On campus students will need to go to the 1st floor of Driscoll Center South to have their picture taken and pick up their cards. The ID Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
You may avoid long lines on campus by submitting your ID photo online. For instructions on how to do this, click here. In order to receive your card you must have paid your admission deposit and it must be within 30 days from the beginning of your accepted term. For those students that submit their photo online, you may pick up your ID card atThe Pioneer ID card office.
ONLINE STUDENTS ONLY Online students may complete the Pioneer ID Card Request Form by clicking here. Simply complete the form, attach a photo, and mail it in.
Payments and Billing
For information regarding tuition payments or billing, please contact the University Bursar’s Office. For information regarding financial aid, please click here. For financial aid questions, contact Kasia Palm in University Financial Aid department at 303.871.6362.
MSLA Listserv and Job Opportunities
We have a created a Listserv that allows students to learn about jobs, connect with faculty and alumni, and ask questions related to the field of legal administration. Please subscribe to the listserv.
Colorado law (see Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-901 to 909) and Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment requires all college and university students physically present on campus and enrolled for one or more classes, submit proof of immunization for measles, mumps and rubella. For detailed information about this requirement and instructions for submitting proof of immunity, go to the Health and Counseling Center website.
If proof of immunity is not provided to the HCC, you will not be allowed to register for classes. In the event of an outbreak of one of these viruses on campus, you will be withdrawn from classes by the Health Department until the outbreak is contained. You will not be eligible for a tuition credit under these circumstances.
For more information contact:
DU Health and Counseling Center
Health Insurance & Health and Counseling Fee
All students attending the University of Denver are required to participate in the Student Health Insurance Plan if they do not have adequate personal health insurance coverage. The 2013-2014 premium is $1,210.00 per semester.
Additionally, all Denver Law students charged a Health and Counseling Fee which covers many of the services provided by the Heath and Counseling Center (HCC). The Health & Counseling fee is $234 per semester.
You may waive the Health Insurance if you have other coverage. You also have a choice to waive the Health and Counseling Fee; doing so will mean that you would be charged an office visit fee for going to the HCC and would need to pay for all services up front.
Health insurance may be waived online through the “Law Student” tab of webCentral. The Accept/Waive Health Insurance link is listed under the “Registration Tools” box.
For information about the Health Insurance Plan and Health and Counseling Fee, please contact:
Health and Counseling Center
All MSLA students are required to have a laptop to support their educational experience Denver Law. To read more about the laptop requirement please see go to the Educational Technology website.
The Law School Student Handbook? covers academic policies and other important student information. Please read at your earliest convenience.