The American Bar Association (ABA) is one of the world’s largest voluntary professional organizations, with nearly 400,000 members and more than 3,500 entities. It is committed to doing what only a national association of attorneys can do: serving our members, improving the legal profession, eliminating bias and enhancing diversity, and advancing the rule of law throughout the United States and around the world.
Founded in 1878, the ABA is committed to supporting the legal profession with practical resources for legal professionals while improving the administration of justice, accrediting law schools, establishing model ethical codes, and more. Membership is open to lawyers, law students, and others interested in the law and the legal profession.
Benefits of becoming an ABA member:
Members in the American Bar Association enjoy access to a rich assortment of benefits to help them become a better legal professional and assist with advocacy for the rule of law in Washington, D.C. and around the world.
Enrich your career through practice specialty groups; opportunities for leadership, authorship and speaking engagements; and involvement in diversity, advocacy and public service initiatives.
Save money through discounts on brand-name products and services plus member-only pricing at ABA Advantage and the ABA Webstore.
To become a student member of ABA, please click here.
The Law Practice Management section (LPM) supplies lawyers and legal professionals with information and resources in the core areas of marketing, management, technology and finance. Increased knowledge of these four basic elements help to build and maintain a law practice.
Legal Administrator Associations
The Association of Legal Administrators (ALA) was founded in 1971 to provide support to professionals involved in the management of law firms, corporate legal departments and government legal agencies. The Association of Legal Administrators’ mission is to promote and enhance the competence and professionalism of all members of the legal management team; improve the quality of management in law firms and other legal service organizations; and represent professional legal management and managers to the legal community and to the community at large.
Membership of the Denver Mile High Chapter of the ALA includes the following benefits:
- Peer Group – The MHC is an organization of almost 220 administrators and functional specialists that functions as a peer group. We are interested in your success.
- Monthly Educational Luncheons – Great speakers focus on topics geared to our needs as legal administrators
- List Server – The MHC list server is an invaluable resource when you’ve got a troubling question that you would like some help on from your fellow administrators, when you want to advertise that you need to fill a staff position, when your Executive Committee wants a quick answer to a question that is beyond your scope, or any number of other things that we administrators address each day.
- Subgroup Meetings – Subgroups of the MHC meet on an as-needed basis to discuss topics of interest. Currently, there are active subgroups for human resources and finance specialists.
- Webinars – The MHC sponsors monthly webinars conducted by the National ALA. These topical seminars are sponsored by the MHC (subject to a minimum of 6 attendees).
- Annual Retreat – The MHC holds an annual education retreat generally in February or March. This provides an excellent opportunity to learn about our profession from a world class speaker at a relaxing venue. Besides providing a great educational experience, it provides time to do some serious networking with your peers and is always lots of fun. The cost of the annual retreat is heavily subsidized by the MHC.
- Community Service – The MHC is very community minded. Each year the Chapter looks for opportunities to give back to our community. Please join us this year as we continue to play an active role in the Denver Community.
- Salary Survey – Each year the MHC does a salary and benefit survey. It is the best survey available for legal support staff in the Denver area legal community. While available to others, the price is reduced to members.
- Business Partner Expo – Each year the MHC presents an Expo. There is no charge for admission. The Expo provides a great opportunity to talk to those MHC Business Partners (local and national vendors that sponsor our Chapter) that you had been hoping to spend some time with, do it in a single location, and in a very time saving format.
- The Rocky Mountain Recorder – This newsletter published by the MHC will help to keep you updated on Chapter happenings and it provides articles that are on point with the legal administration issues that we as administrators find most critical.
The National Association for Court Management (NACM) has over 2,000 members from the United States, Canada, Australia and other countries. NACM is the largest organization of court management professionals in the world with members from all levels and types of courts.
NACM provides court management professionals the opportunity to increase their proficiency while working with colleagues to improve the administration of justice. NACM strives to improve the administration of justice, provide education and training, and improve the public access to courts.
Benefits of becoming a NACM member:
- You receive the Court Manager, published quarterly, which provides members with useful articles and research specifically covering issues relevant to court managers.
- You receive Court Express, published quarterly, which contains “nuts and bolts” information on court projects, while keeping members informed of changes in the profession.
- Priority attention from the Research Division of the National Center for State Courts.
- Surveys on a wide range of topics and interests affecting the practicing court manager.
- Reduced conference fees to NACM’s midyear and annual conferences.
- Networking with professionals who share your values, concerns, and interest in improving the quality and administration of justice.
To learn more about how to become a student member of NACM, please click here.