Admission decisions are made without regard to a student’s ability to meet the financial obligations of their individual program.
A limited number of departmental scholarships are available for Graduate Legal Studies students and are awarded by the admissions committee based on a student’s demonstrated ability. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. For this reason, we recommend submitting all application materials as early as possible.
For scholarship consideration, students must submit a one-page essay detailing their qualifications for a merit scholarship. You can include, but are not limited to, information regarding financial need, public service and community activities, awards, publications, special recognitions, examples of leadership, background and influences, and future career plans.
Please fill out all pertinent information and submit your essay on our scholarship submission page.
Students will be notified of any awards with their acceptance letters, or through an official e-mail if a scholarship award is allocated after an admission decision is made.
External Scholarship Opportunities
Students may want to explore other options when considering the financial responsibilities of their studies. Our students could possibly qualify for other scholarships through private grants and foundations. The following list of resources may be helpful in financing your graduate legal education. This should serve as a starting point and is by no means exhaustive. Each prospective student is encouraged to explore all funding options available. Additionally, please visit the website of the DU Financial Aid Office to continue exploring scholarship possibilities.
- LLM-guide.com provides an overview of LL.M. funding options and could be helpful to begin your scholarship exploration.
- Department of Human Development, Education and Culture of the Organization of American States Scholarships and Loans
Available only to OAS citizens and residents.
Funding for International Students
- Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation
Scholarships for students from Greece.
- American Association of University Women Educational Foundation Fellowships and Grants
Advances educational and professional opportunities for women around the globe.
- American-Scandinavian Foundation
For students from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden.
- Arthur C. Helton Fellowship Program
Offers micro-grants for students studying with a focus on Human Rights.
- Australian Federation of University Women Scholarships & Fellowships
Available for women who have studied in Queensland, Australia.
- Australian Federation of Graduate Women
Scholarships for women who are Australian citizens.
- Becas Chile
Scholarships for students from Chile.
- Baltic America Freedom Foundation Graduate Scholarship Program
Provides financial support to Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians who wish to pursue postgraduate studies in the U.S.
- Brain Capital LL.M. Education Fund
Financing program for German LL.M. students.
- Canadian Federation of University Women
Scholarships for students from Canada.
Scholarships for students from Colombia.
- College Women’s Association of Japan
Graduate scholarship for Japanese women.
- Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia
Scholarships for Mexican citizens.
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior
Scholarship program for students from Brazil.
Scholarships for German citizens.
- Denmark-America Foundation & the Fulbright Commission
Grants and advising for Danes and Americans.
International exchange programs for French students and interns studying abroad.
- Finlandia Foundation National
Administrates grants and scholarships to celebrate, support, and strengthen Finnish heritage and Finnish-American culture and traditions.
- Golden Key National Honor Society Member Scholarship
Grants scholarships to visionary students who “dream big, and never, ever stop.”
- Houtan Scholarship Foundation
Scholarships for students from all origins who have high academic performance and proven interest in promoting Iran’s culture, heritage, language and civilization.
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
For students from certain countries based on their potential for leadership and a demonstrated commitment to public service.
- Organization of American States Leo S. Rowe Pan American Fund
Helps citizens from Latin America and Caribbean OAS Member States finance their studies or research at accredited universities across the United States by awarding interest-free loans.
- International Federation of University Women
Scholarships for women from Australia, France, Great Britain, India, Israel, Japan, Norway, South Africa, Switzerland and USA.
- International Student Organization in the USA
A list of scholarships for international students attending school in the United States.
- Iranian American Bar Association
Law School Scholarship for students of Iranian heritage.
- Iranian-American Scholarship Fund
Provides scholarships to full-time students who are citizens of Iran and attend undergraduate and graduate schools in the United States.
- Kosciuszko Foundation Fellowships & Grants
Scholarships for students who are Polish citizens.
- Mackenzie King Scholarships
Available for students from Canada.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Program
Awards scholarships to Indian students with a consistently good academic record.
- National University of Ireland
Available for Irish students.
- Norway-America Association
Scholarship program for students from Norway.
- Organization of Istanbul Armenians Scholarship
Students of Armenian descent with an excellent academic record are qualified to apply.
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
Honors the contributions of immigrants and children of immigrants to the United States.
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (P.E.O.) International
A program which provides scholarships for selected women from other countries for graduate study in the United States and Canada.
- Point Foundation
Empowers LGBTQ students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential to make a significant impact on society.
- Postgrad Solutions Global LL.M. Study Bursary
Helps students fund their chosen Master of Laws program anywhere in the world.
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships
Invests in future leaders and philanthropists by funding scholarships for undergraduate and graduate study.
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarship
Provide the opportunity to Indian students to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills.
- Serbian Bar Association of America
Scholarships for individuals of Serbian birth or ancestry and/or their spouses.
- Turkish Educational Foundation Foreign
Scholarships for graduate students from Turkey.
- Ukrainian American Bar Association Scholarship
For law school students of Ukrainian descent and residents of Ukraine who attend law school in the U.S.
- World Bank Fellowship and Scholarship Programs
Awarded to students who promote economic development and shared prosperity through investing in education and developing human resources in the developing world.
- World Bank Group Family Network Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund
Provides grants to women from developing and middle-income countries to further their education and strengthen the professional and leadership skills they need to improve the lives of women and children.
- World Wildlife Fund’s Education for Nature Program
Open to students from Africa, Asia, and Latin America.