- Academic Advising Video
- Program Interest Form
- Certificate Program
- Contact Us
- Criminal Defense Clinic
- Civil Rights Clinic
- E-Newsletter Archive
- Faculty Scholarship
- Follow Us Online
- Program News
- Chu Family Distinguished Lecture
- CounterPoints Debate Event
- Visiting Scholar-in-Residence Program
- Will Potter Lunch Talk
- Lessons Learned: Retail Marijuana Roundtable Discussion
- Crimmigration Law & Policy Workshop
Constitutional Rights and Remedies Publications
William M. Beaney Memorial Research Chair and Professor
- Free Speech and Instrumental Music, 66 Hastings L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2015).
- Rights Lawyer Essentialism: Reflections on Richard Thompson Ford’s Rights Gone Wrong, 111 Mich. L. Rev. 903 (2013).
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING: A CONTEMPORARY PERSPECTIVE, co-authored with Scott L. Cummings, (2013).
- Rosy Pictures and Renegade Officials: The Slow Death of Monroe v. Pape, 78 UMKCL.REV. 889 (2010).
- Bureaucracy and Distrust: Germaneness and the Paradoxes of Academic Freedom Doctrine, 77 U. Colo. L. Rev. 955 (2006).
- The Facts about Qualified Immunity, 55 Emory L.J. 229 (2006).
- Forced Patriot Acts, 81 Denv. U. L. Rev. 703 (2004).
- Foreword: Bill Beaney's Continuing Relevance, 81 Denv. U. L. Rev. 217 (2003).
- Statutory Speech Bubbles, First Amendment Overbreadth, and Improper Legislative Purpose, 38 Harv. C.R.-C.L. L. Rev. 31 (2003).
- Teens in the UV Tanning Booth? Tax the Tan, co-authored with with Dellavalle, RP, Schilling, LM, Hester, EJ, ARCHIVES OF PEDIATRIC AND ADOLESCENT MEDICINE 2003, 157: 845-846.
- Youth Access Laws: In the Dark at the Tanning Parlor, co-authored with with Dellavalle, Parker, Cersonsky, Hemme, Burkhardt, and Schilling, 139 ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY 443 (April 2003).
- Liability of Private Firms Performing Public Functions, TRIAL, Oct. 1999, at 60.
- Shadow Law: Reasonable Unreasonableness, Habeas Theory, and the Nature of Legal Rules, 2 Buff. Crim. L. Rev 535 (1999).
- Constitutional Law, in 1997 ANNUAL SURVEY OF COLORADO LAW, (1997).
- The Burdens of Qualified Immunity: Summary Judgment and the Role of Facts in Constitutional Tort Law, 47 Am. U. L. Rev. 1 (1997).
- "Meet The New Boss . . . ", 73 Denv. U. L. Rev. 1253 (1996).
- The Ultimate Standard: Qualified Immunity in the Age of Constitutional Balancing Tests, 81 Iowa L. Rev. 261 (1995).
- Burns v. Reed--Narrowing the Prosecutor's Protection From Liability for Unconstitutional Conduct, 3 POLICE MISCONDUCT AND CIVIL RIGHTS LAW REPORT 121 (1991).
- Due Process As Consumer Protection: State Remedies For Distant Forum Abuse, 20 Akron L. Rev. 9 (1986).
- A New Formalism for Family Law, 55 William and Mary L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2014).
- Why Civil Gideon Won’t Fix Family Law, 122 YALE L.J. 2106 (2013).
- The Boundary Claim’s Caveat: Lawyers and Confidentiality Exceptionalism, 86 TUL. L. REV. 1055 (2012).
- When the State Demands Disclosure, 33 CARDOZO L. REV. 675 (2011).
- Restoring Equipoise to Child Welfare, 62 HASTINGS L.J. 401 (2010).
- Compulsory Education and Substantive Due Process: Asserting Student Rights to a Safe and Healthy School Environment, 10 LEWIS & CLARK L. REV. 201 (2006).
Director, Constitutional Rights & Remedies Program and Professor
- The Continuing Problem of Federal Marijuana Prohibition, 99 Iowa Law Bulletin (2014).
- Cooperative Federalism and State Marijuana Regulation, UCLA Law Review (forthcoming 2014).
- Waking the Furman Giant, co-authored with Justin Marceau, UC Davis Law Review, Forthcoming.
- Vicarious Liability for Capital Aggravating Factors: A Bridge too Far, co-authored with Justin Marceau, 65 Fla. L. Rev. 769 (2013).
- Medical Marijuana Lawyers: Outlaws or Crusaders?, co-authored with Eli Wald, 91 Oregon Law Review 3 (2013).
- Colorado Capital Punishment: An Empirical Study, co-authored with Justin Marceau and Wanda Foglia, 84 Col. L. Rev. 1069 (2013).
- Investigative Criminal Procedure: A Contemporary Approach, co-authored with Ricardo Bascuas, chapter in Investigative Criminal Procedure: A Contemporary Approach, 2nd edition (Thomson/West Publishing) (2013).
- Lessons Learned from the Governor’s Task Force to Implement Amendment 64, 91 Oregon Law Review (2013).
- Siegel’s Criminal Law Essay and Multiple Choice Questions and Answers, 5th edition (Wolters Kluwer (2013).
- The Work of the Task Force to Implement Amendment 64, 90 Denver University Law Review Online (2013).
- Medical Marijuana in Colorado and the Future of Marijuana Regulation in the United States, 43 McGeorge Law Review 147 (2012).
- Medical Marijuana in Colorado and the Future of Marijuana Regulation in the United States, 43 McGeorge Law Review 147 (2012).
- Duke Lacrosse, Prosecutorial Misconduct, and the Limits of the Civil Justice System, ch. in Institutional Failures: Duke Lacrosse, Universities, the News Media, and the Legal System (Ashgate Press 2011).
- The Facts about Ring v. Arizona and the Jury’s Role in Capital Sentencing, co-authored with Justin Marceau, 13 Journal of Constituional Law 529 (2011).
- An Article III Defense of Merits-First Decisionmaking in Civil Rights Litigation: The Continued Viability of Saucier v. Katz, 16 George Mason Law Review 53 (2008).
- How the War on Terror May Affect Domestic Interrogations: The 24 Effect, 4 Chapman U. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2007).
- How the Blogs Saved Law School: Why a Diversity of Voices Will Undermine the U.S. News & World Report Rankings, 81 Ind. L.J. 375 Indiana Law Journal Winter, 2006 Symposium: The Next Generation of Law School Rankings.
- The Cultural Lives of Capital Punishment: Comparative Perspectives, Austin Sarat and Christian Boulanger, Eds. Stanford University Press (2005), 9(3) Punishment and Society 331 (2007).
- Death Qualification and True Bifurcation: Building on the Massachusetts Governor's Council's Report, 80 Ind. L.J. 131 Indiana Law Journal Winter, 2005 Symposium Jeffrey J. Pokorak.
- Symposium: Toward a Model Death Penalty Code: The Massachusetts Governor's Council Report, Panel Discussion, 80 Indiana Law Journal 91 (2005).
- The Private is Public: The Relevance of Private Actors in Defining the Fourth Amendment, in Civil Rights Litigation and Attorney Fees Handbook (Steven Saltzman, ed., 2005).
- The Private is Public: The Relevance of Private Actors In Defining the Fourth Amendment, 46 B.C. L. Rev. 83 Boston College Law Review December, 2004 Article.
- Amicus Curiae Brief of the California Public Defenders Association in Support of Respondent in Lockyer v. Andrade, 123 S.Ct. 1166 (2003).
- Facts, Fallacies and the California Three Strikes, 40 Duq. L. Rev. 605 Duquesne Law Review Spring 2002 Rebuttal Franklin E. Zimring.
- Harmless Error and the Rights/Remedies Split, 88 Va. L. Rev. 1 Virginia Law Review March 2002 Article.
- Little Brothers are Watching You: The Importance of Private Actors in the Making of Fourth Amendment Law, 79 Denv. U. L. Rev. 517 Denver University Law Review 2002.
- Punishment and Democracy: Three Strikes and You're Out in California co-authored with Franklin E. Zimring and Gordon Hawkins, (Oxford University Press, 2001).
- Crime & Punishment in California: The Impact of Three Strikes and You're Out co-authored with Franklin E. Zimring and Gordon Hawkins, (Institute of Governmental Studies Press, 1999).
- Law and Technology: The Case for a Smart Gun Detector, 59-WTR Law & Contemp. Probs. 221 Law and Contemporary Problems Winter 1996 Kids, Guns, and Public Policy.
- The Effect of "Three Strikes and You're Out" on the Courts: Looking Back to See the Future, In Three Strikes And You're Out: Vengeance As Public Policy (David Shichor & Dale K. Sechrest, eds., 1996) (with Malcolm Feeley).
Jan G. Laitos
John A Carver, Jr. Professor of Law
- Hornbook on Natural Resources Law (forthcoming) West Academic (2015).
- Principles of Natural Resources Law, West Academic (with Zellmer) (2014).
- The Problem of Amenity Migrants in North America and Europe, 45 The Urban Lawyer (2014).
- Zombie Subdivisions in America and Ghost Developments in Europe: Lessons for Local Governments, co-authored with Rachel Martin, Denver Law Review Online (April 2014).
- Law of Property Rights Protection: Limitations on Governmental Powers, Aspen Publishers (2013).
- Standing and Environmental Harm: The Double Paradox, 31 Virginia Envtl. L. Rev. 55 (2013).
- Cases and Materials on Natural Resources Law 2d Edition (Thompson West 2012) (with Zellmer and Wood) and Teachers Manual (West, 2013).
- Teacher’s Manual for Cases and Materials on Natural Resources Law co-authored with Sandi B. Zellmer, Mary C. Wood, (Thompson West) (2013).
- Rules of Law for Nature’s Use and Nonuse, chapter in Rules of Law for Nature: New Dimensions and Ideas in Environmental Law, Christina Voigt, ed. (Cambridge University Press) (2013).
- The Clean Water Act and the Challenge of Agricultural Pollution, 37 Vermont Law Review 1033 (2013).
- Cyanide, Mining and the Environment, 30 Pace Environmental Law Review 869 (2013).
- Cases and Materials on Natural Resources Law 3d Edition, Thompson West (2012).
- The Current Status of Cyanide Regulations, 34 Engineering and Mining Journal (February 2012).
- The Role of Causation in Takings Claims, 20 William and Mary Bill of Rights Journal 1181 (2012).
- The Current Status of Cyanide Regulations, 34 Engineering and Mining Journal (2012).
- Equal Protection in Property and Planning, 64 Planning and Environmental:Law Review 4 (2012).
- The Role of Brownfields as Sites for Mixed-Use Development Projects in America & Britain, Perspectives on International Law in an Era of Change 492 (2012).
- The Right of Nonuse, Oxford University Press (2012).
- The Regulation of Toxic Substances and Hazardous Waste 2d ed., co-authored with Applegate, Foundation Press 2011.
- The Social Benefits of Property Rights Protection, Government Interventions and the European Court on Human Rights, Indiana International & Comparative Law Review (2011).
- The Growing Rule of Nonuse Values in Land Use Planning and Environmental Law, 63 Planning & Environmental Law Review (2011).
- Property Rights, Housing and the American Constitution: The Social Benefits of Property Rights Protection, Government Interventions and the European Court on Human Rights’ Hutten-Czapska Decision, co-authored with Professor Ed Ziegler, Indiana International and Comparative Law Review, Vol. 21, No. 25 (2011).
- The Emerging Role of Nonuse Values in Land Use Planning, co-authored with Swan, Land Use and Environmental Law published by American Planning Association. Vol. 63, Issue 3 (2011).
- Property Rights, Housing, and the American Constitution: The Social Benefits of Property Rights Protection, Government Interventions, and the European Court of Human Rights’ Hutten – Czapska Decision, 21 , co-authored with Ed Ziegler, 21 Indiana International and Comparative Law Review 25 (2011).
- Public-Private Partnerships in America for an Urban Mix Regeneration Site Development: The Case of the Polluted Gates Rubber Plant in Denver, New Housing Researchers Colloquium: ENHR (2011).
- The Regulation of Toxic Substances and Hazardous Waste, co-authored with John Applegate, 2nd edition, Foundation Press (2011).
- The Regulation of Toxic Substances and Hazardous Waste, Instructor’s Manual, co-authored with John Applegate, 2nd edition, Foundation Press (2011).
- “Takings,” in Environmental Protection of Colorado Real Property, Bradford Publishing (2011).
- The Law of Hazardous Waste and Toxic Substances, Foundation Press (2011).
- The Growing Acceptance of Nonuse Values in Land Use Planning, Planning and Environmental Law Review, American Planning Association (2011).
- Environmental Regulation of Colorado Real Property (co-author, Bradford Press, (2011).
- The Law of Property Rights Protection (Aspen Law and Business 2010).
- The Right of Nonuse, 25 Oregon Journal of Environmental Law & Litigation 303 (2010).
- The Emerging Right of Nonuse, 55 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Annual Inst. 25-1 (2010).
- The Problem With Wilderness, Harvard Environmental Law Review (2008).
- The Problem With Wilderness, 32 Harvard Environmental Law Review 503 (2008).
- The Law of Airspace Near Public Runways, 59 Planning and Environmental Law Review 1 (2007).
- The Law of RCRA and CERCLA (Foundation Press, 2006).
- Recreation Wars for Our Natural Resources (Foundation Press, 2006).
- Literature Review of Severed Minerals, Split Estates, Rights Of Access, and Surface Use in Mineral Extraction, 2005 No. 1 Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. Paper No. 1B Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Severed Minerals, Split Estates, Rights of Access, and Surface Use in Mineral Extraction Operations Paper 1B John A. Carver, Jr.,.
- The Management of Hazardous Waste (Foundation Press, 2005).
- Multi-Layered, and Sequential, State and Local Barriers to Extractive Resource Development, 23 Va. Envtl. L.J. 1 Virginia Environmental Law Journal 2004 Elizabeth H. Getches Article.
- Recreation Wars for Our Natural Resources, 34 Envtl. L. 1091 Environmental Law Fall 2004 Symposium Rachael B. Reiss.
- The Multiple to Dominant Use Paradigm Shift in Natural Resources Management, 24 J. Land Resources & Envtl. L. 221 Journal of Land, Resources, and Environmental Law 2004.
- Height Restrictions Near Airports: Physical Takings, Regulatory Takings, or Police Power Exercises, 55 Land Use Law & Zoning Digest 3 (Sept. 2003).
- Whose Law Governs? State and Local Regulation on Federal Lands, and Federal Regulation on State Lands, 49 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 2003.
- Hornbook on Natural Resources Law (West Publishing, 2002).
- The Law of Toxic Substances and Hazardous Wastes (Foundation Press, 2000), and Teacher's Manual (300 pages) (2002).
- The Moral Austerity of Environmental Decisionmaking (Duke Univ. Press, 2002) (contributing author).
- The New Retroactivity Causation Standard,, 51 Ala. L. Rev. 1123 (2000).
- The New Dominant Use Reality on Multiple Use Lands,, 44 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 1 (1999).
- The Transformation on Public Lands, 26 Ecology L.Q. 140 Ecology Law Quarterly 1999 Thomas A. Carr Article.
- Legislative Retroactivity,, 52 Washington University Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law 81 (1997).
- Takings and Causation,, 5 William & Mary Bill of Rights Journal 359 (1997).
- Legislative Retroactivity, 52 Wash. U. J. Urb. & Contemp. L. 81 Washington University Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law 1997.
- National Parks and the Recreation Resource, 74 Denv. U. L. Rev. 847 Denver University Law Review 1997 Symposium: the National Park System.
- Takings and Causation, 5 Wm. & Mary Bill Rts. J. 359 William and Mary Bill of Rights Journal Summer 1997.
- Judicial Protection of Private Property in Natural Resources: The American Experience,, 14 J. of Energy and Natural Resources 262 (1996).
- May CERCLA Apply Retroactively?, 25-OCT Colo. Law. 103 Colorado Lawyer October, 1996 John R. Jacus Specialty Law Column.
- Causation and the Unconstitutional Conditions Doctrine: Why the City of Tigard's Exaction Was a Taking, 72 Denv. U. L. Rev. 893 Denver University Law Review 1995 Symposium.
- NEPA and Oil and Gas Development on Forest Service Lands, in The Natural Resources Law Manual at 205 (ABA Section of Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law 1995).
- Federal CERCLA Liability for Abandoned Mines, 23 Colo. Law. 371 Colorado Lawyer February, 1994 Natural Resource Notes.
- Water Rights and Water Quality: Recent Developments, 23 Colo. Law. 2343 Colorado Lawyer October, 1994 Specialty Law Column.
- The Public Use Paradox and the Takings Clause, 13 J. Energy Nat. Resources & Envtl. L. 9 Journal of Energy, Natural Resources, and Environmental Law 1993.
- The Takings Clause in America's Industrial States After Lucas, 24 U. Tol. L. Rev. 281 University of Toledo Law Review Winter, 1993.
- "Use of Agency Deliberations by Reviewing Courts,", 69 Denver Univ. L. Rev. 121 (1992).
- Energy and Natural Resources Law in a Nutshell (West Publishing, 1992).
- Use of Agency Deliberations by Reviewing Courts, 69 Denv. U. L. Rev. 121 Denver University Law Review 1992.
- Paralysis By Analysis In The Forest Service Oil And Gas Leasing Program, 26 Land & Water L. Rev. 105 Land and Water Law Review 1991 Land and Water Division.
- "Oil and Gas Leasing on Forest Service Lands,", 5 Natural Res. and Environment 23 (1990).
- "The Nature and Consequence of 'Valid Existing Rights' Status in Public Land Law,", 5 Journal of Mineral Law & Policy 399 (1990), reprinted in 28 Public Land and Resources Digest 121 (1991).
- What is a "Material Injury" to a Water Right?, 19 Colo. Law. 1333 (1990).
- "Water Quality Antidegradation,", 4 Natural Res. and Environment 19 (1989).
- "Water Rights, Clean Water Act Section 404 Permitting, and the Takings Clause,", 60 U. of Colo. L. Rev. 901 (1989).
- Practicing Law Before Part-Time Citizen Boards and Commissions, 18 Colo. Law. 1133 (1989).
- Water Rights, Clean Water Act Section 404 Permitting, And The Takings Clause, 60 U. Colo. L. Rev. 901 University of Colorado Law Review 1989 Focus: Clean Water Act's Section 404.
- "Protection From Government Action Affecting Private Property Rights in Natural Resources in the United States,", 5 Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law 59 (1988).
- "Regulation of Natural Resources Use and Development in Light of the 'New' Takings Clause,", 34 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 1 (1988).
- "Uncloaking Law School Hiring,", 38 J. of Legal Ed. 345 (1988).
- Assault on the Citadel, Part I: Water Quality Laws and the Exercise of Water Rights, 17 Colo. Law. 1305 (1988).
- Assault on the Citadel, Part II: Dams, Diversions, and Water Quality Regulations, 17 Colo. Law. 2003 (1988).
- Constitutional Limits on Police Power Regulations Affecting the Exercise of Water Rights, 16 Colo. Law. 1626 (1987).
- Government Interference With Private Interests In Public Resources, 11 Harv. Envtl. L. Rev. 1 Harvard Environmental Law Review 1987 Richard A. Westfall.
- Energy Resources and Policy Problems, in Energy in American History, (Pergamon Press, 1983).
- "Utility Use of Renewable Resources: Legal and Economic Implications,", 59 Denver Law Journal 1 (1982), reprinted in Public Utilities Law Anthology (International Library Press, 1982).
- "The Effect of Water Law on the Development of Oil Shale,", 58 Denver Law Journal 751 (1981).
- Economic and Regulatory Issues Raised by Utility Involvement in Central and Decentralized Solar Applications, SERI Rept., TR-744-1338 (1981).
- Proceedings: SERI-ERA Workshop on Electric Utility Involvement in Residential Solar Applications, SERI Rept. CP 733-781 (1981).
- Prospects for Utility Involvement in Residential Solar Applications, in Energy and Communications in Transition (Michigan State University Press, 1981).
- Utilities and Solar Energy, in Legal Aspects of Solar Energy (Lexington Press, 1981).
- A Legal-Economic History of Air Pollution Controls (Carrollton Press, 1980).
- Regulated Utilities and Solar Energy (Callaghan Press, 1980).
- "May Regulated Utilities Monopolize the Sun?,", 56 Denver Law Journal 31 (1979).
- Public Policy Questions Posed by the Rise of a Solar Energy Industry in Colorado, Colorado Energy Research Institute Report 1979.
- Regulated Utilities and Solar Energy: A Legal-Economic Analysis of the Major Issues Affecting the Solar Commercialization Effort, SERI Rept. TR-62-255 (June 1979).
- "A Leap of Faith: Some Observations on Law's Effect Upon the Earth's Natural Resources,", 25 Am. Univ. L. Review 131 (1975).
- "Continuities from the Past Affecting Resource Use and Conservation Patterns,", 28 Okla. L. Rev. 60 (1975).
- "Legal institutions and Pollution: Some Intersections Between Law and History,", 15 Natural Resources Journal 423 (1975).
- The Social and Economic Roots of Judge-Made Air Pollution Policy in Wisconsin,", 58 Marq. L. Rev. 465 (1975).
- "The Limits of the Law: Institutional Failures of the Air Pollution Variance Board,", 44 U. of Colo. L. Rev. 513 (1973).
- "Institutional Response to an Environmental Crisis: The Failure of State Air Pollution Control,", 48 Denver L. J. 519 (1972).
- "Judicial Limitations on Holder in Due Course Claims,", 42 U. of Colo. L. Rev. 439 (1971).
- The Effect of Full Faith and Credit on Cognovit Judgments, 42 U. of Colo. L. Rev. 1973 (cited by the U.S. Supreme Court in Overmyer v. Frank 405 U.S. 174 (1972)) (1970).
Law School Clinical Program
- “Crimmigration” and the Right to Counsel at the Border Between Civil and Criminal Proceedings, 99 IOWA L. REV. 2131 (2014).
- Redress in State Postconviction Proceedings for Ineffective Crimmigration Counsel, 63 DEPAUL L. REV. 959 (2014).
- Litigating Immigration Detainer Issues, chapter in Immigration Law for the Colorado Practitioner, Colorado Bar Association (February 1, 2013).
- Federal Immigration Detainers After Arizona v. United States, 46 Loyola L.A. L. Rev. 629 (2013).
- Panel Discussion I: Understanding Immigration—Satisfying Padilla’s New Definition of Competence in Legal Representation, co-authored with Yolanda Vázquez and Jennifer Chacón, published symposium comments in 9 Tennessee Journal of Law and Policy (2013).
- Rendition Resistance, 92 N.C. L. REV. 101 (2013).
- Preempting Immigration Detainer Enforcement Under Arizona v. United States, 3 WAKE FOREST J. L. & POL’Y 281 (2013) (invited).
- The Future of Teague Retroactivity, or 'Redressability,' after Danforth v. Minnesota: Why Lower Courts Should Give Retroactive Effect to New Constitutional Rules of Criminal Procedure in Postconviction Proceedings, 46 American Criminal Law Review (2009).
- Enforcing the Limits of the Executive's Authority to Issue Immigration Detainers, 35 William Mitchell Law Review (2008).
- Initiating a New Constitutional Dialogue: The Increased Importance under AEDPA of Seeking Certiorari from Judgments of State Courts, co-authored with Giovanna Shay, 50 William & Mary Law (2008).
Associate Professor with Tenure
- Racial Capitalism, 126 HARVARD LAW REVIEW 2151 (2013).
- Gideon's Law Protective Function, 122 YALE LAW JOURNAL 2460 (2013) (symposium contribution).
- Consent Forms and Consent Formalism, 2013 WISCONSIN LAW REVIEW 751 (2013) (with Kira Suyeishi).
- Improving Rights, 99 VIRGINIA LAW REVIEW ____ (forthcoming 2013).
- Making Rights, 91 BOSTON UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 405 (2012).
- The Open Road and the Traffic Stop, 64 FLORIDA LAW REVIEW 305 (2012).
- Civilizing Batson, 97 IOWA LAW REVIEW 1561 (symposium contribution) (2012).
- Is Marriage for Rich People? A Book Review of Ralph Richard Banks’ IS MARRIAGE FOR WHITE PEOPLE?, 44 CONNECTICUT LAW REVIEW 1311 (2012).
- “So Closely Intertwined”: Labor and Racial Solidarity, 81 GEORGE WASHINGTON LAW REVIEW ____ (forthcoming 2013) (with Charlotte Garden).
- Rethinking the Order of Battle in Constitutional Torts: A Reply to John Jeffries (colloquy essay), 105 NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 969 (2011).
- The Persistent Gender Disparity in Student Note Publication, co-authored with Jennifer Mullins, 23 YALE JOURNAL OF LAW AND FEMINISM 385 (2011) (coauthored with Jennifer Mullins).
- Judicial Erasure of Mixed-Race Discrimination, 59 AMERICAN UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 469 (2010).
- The Saucier Qualified Immunity Experiment: An Empirical Analysis, 36 PEPPERDINE LAW REVIEW 667 (2009).
- A Noteworthy Absence, 59 JOURNAL OF LEGAL EDUCATION 279 (2009).
- Note, Attorney-Client Privilege in the Public Sector: A Survey of Government Attorneys, 20 GEORGETOWN JOURNAL OF LEGAL ETHICS 163 (2007).
- Multiracial Identity and Affirmative Action, 12 UCLA ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN LAW JOURNAL 1 (2007).
- Note, Beyond Breimhorst: Appropriate Accommodation of Students with Learning Disabilities on the SAT, 57 STANFORD LAW REVIEW 2135 (2005).
- Certiorari Grants in 2254 Cases, An Empirical Study , (in progress).
- Is Guilt Dispositive? Federal Habeas after Martinez, 55 William & Mary Law Review 2071 (2014).
- High Value Lies, Ugly Truths and the First Amendment, In Progress (2014).
- Waking the Furman Giant, co-authored with Sam Kamin, UC Davis Law Review, forthcoming.
- ADJUDICATIVE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (co-author) West, expected Fall (2013).
- Plurality Decisions: Acoustic Separation & Upward Flowing Precedent, 45 Conn. L. Rev. 933 (2013).
- Vicarious Aggravators, co-authored with S. Kamin, 65 Fla. L. Rev. 769 (2013).
- Gideon’s Shadow , 122 Yale L. J. 2482 (2013).
- Many are Eligible Few are Chosen: An Empirical Study of Colorado’s Death Penalty, co-authored with S. Kamin & W. Foglia, 84 Col. L. Rev. 1069 (2013).
- The Cost of Colorado's Death Penalty, co-authored with Hollis A. Whitson , (2013).
- Taking Voluntariness Seriously, co-authored with Ian Farrell, 54 Boston College L. Rev.1545 (2013).
- Remedying Pretrial Ineffective Assistance, Tex. Tech. L. Rev. (2012).
- Challenging the Habeas Process Rather than the Result , 69 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 85 (2012).
- Embracing a New Era of Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, 14 U. Penn. J. Const. L 1161 (2012).
- The Freezing of the Fourth Amendment, SEARCH & SEIZURE LAW REPORT (2012).
- Arizona's Ring Cycle, 44 Ariz. St. L.J. 1061 (2012).
- Colorado's Constitutional Conundrum, 89 Denv. U. L.R. 327 (2012).
- FEDERAL HABEAS CORPUS: CASES AND MATERIALS, 2d. ed. (co-author), Carolina Academic Press (2011).
- The Fourth Amendment at a Three-Way Stop, 62 Ala. L. Rev. 687 (2011).
- The Facts About Ring v. Arizona, and the Jury’s Role in Capital Sentencing, co-authored with Sam Kamin, 13 U. Penn. J. Const. L 529 (2011).
- Don’t Forget Due Process: The Path Not (Yet) Taken in § 2254 Litigation, 62 Hastings L.J. 1 (2010).
- Lifting the Haze of Baze: Lethal Injection, the Eighth Amendment, and Plurality Opinions, 41 Ariz. St. L.J. 159 (2009).
- Un-Incorporating the Bill of Rights: The Tension Between the Fourteenth Amendment and the Federalism Concerns That Underlie Modern Criminal Procedure Reforms, J. Crim. Law & Criminology (2008).
- Deference and Doubt: The Interaction of AEDPA §§ 2254(d)(2) & (e)(1), 82 Tul. L. Rev. 385 (2007).
George W. (Rock) Pring
Professor Emeritus of Law
Ronald V. Yegge Clinical Director and Associate Professor
Law School Clinical Program
- Seeking Integrity: Learning Integratively from Classroom Controversy , co-authored with Patti Alleva, 42 Southwestern Law Review 355 (2012 - 2013).
- Requiring the State to Justify Supermax Confinement for Mentally III Prisoners: A Disability Discrimination Approach, co-authored with Brittany Glidden, 90 Denver L. Rev. 55 (2013).
- Preferring Order to Justice, co-authored with Jeanne Theoharis, 61 American University Law Review 1331 (2012).
- The Unforeseen Ethical Ramifications of Classroom Faculty Participation in Law School Clinics, 75 U. CIN. L. REV. 1113 (2007).
- Disability, Equality & Identity, 55 Alabama L. Rev. 1043 (2004) (reprinted in part in EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION LAW: CASES, PROBLEMS AND CRITICAL PERSPECTIVES (Prentice Hall 2005)).
- Perpetuating Stigma: Client Identity in Disability Rights Litigation, 247 Utah Law Review (2001).
Robin Walker Sterling
Law School Clinical Program
Against the statistical backdrop showing that minorities are overrepresented in the criminal justice system, Robin Walker Sterling urges criminal defense attorneys to employ concrete tactics and strategies in their cases to “get race discrimination and bias issues before the court and on the record.” Disproportionate minority contact (DMC), she writes, results from day-to-day practices relied on at every stage of the criminal justice system—from discretion exercised by police on the street, to narrowed legal definitions of what constitutes racism and discrimination, to prosecutorial practices disadvantaging minority defendants, and so on. Her prescriptive suggestions, she argues, would shine the light of day on these systemic causes of DMC and make them an express part of discourse, inside and outside the courtroom, about the directions the criminal justice system has taken. See “Raising Race,” in the April 2011 edition of THE CHAMPION, a publication of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. www.NACDL.org
- Fundamental Unfairness: In re Gault and the Road Not Taken, 72 Maryland Law Review (April 2013).
- Raising Race, The Champion, www.nacdl.org, April 2011.