Denver University Law Review Annual Symposium
On January 31 and February 1, 2014, the Denver University Law Review will host its annual symposium titled “Revisiting Sex: Gender & Sex Discrimination Fifty Years After the Civil Rights Act.”
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 represents one of the most significant milestones of the twentieth century. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act protects individuals against employment discrimination on the bases of race, color, national origin, sex, and religion.
The Denver University Law Review’s 2014 Symposium, “Revisiting Sex: Gender and Sex Discrimination Fifty Years after the Civil Rights Act,” will explore the meaning of “sex” under Title VII, present the role gender plays in the workplace, and review the shortcomings of the fifty-year-old Title VII framework. Panel topics include Caregiving in 2014; Intersectionalities; Access to Work, Pay Inequality, and Discrimination; Sexuality and Gender Issues; and Biases in Litigation and Amongst the Judiciary.
By examining the shortcomings of the Title VII framework, the Symposium will highlight how an anachronistic legal framework is often inadequate to address contemporary gender discrimination.
All are welcome, and CLE credit will be available. For more information about the Symposium, please visit our Revisiting Sex page. The final agenda for the Symposium is available for download here. For any other questions, please contact LaLonnie Villa-Martinez.
We would also like to thank our sponsors for helping make the Symposium possible:
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law – Constitutional Rights and Remedies Program
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law – Office of the Dean
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law – Workplace Law Program
For information on becoming a sponsor, please contact LaLonnie Villa-Martinez.
- 2013 Symposium, Forty Years Since Keyes v. School District No. 1: Equality of Educational Opportunity and the Legal Construction of Modern Metropolitan America
- 2012 Symposium, Marijuana at the Crosswords
2012 Flyer »
2012 Symposium Videos »
- 2010 Symposium, Guilty Minds
- 2009 Symposium, Cyber Civil Rights
- 2009 Symposium, Home Rule
- 2008 Symposium, Global Climate Change: Integrating Environmental Justice Into Policy, Regulation, and Litigation
- 2007 Symposium, Immigration: Both Sides of the Fence
- 2006 Symposium, Borrowing the Land: Cultures of Ownership in the Western Landscape