Taxation LLM Career Services
Postgraduate employment is a vital concern of both students and faculty. Because the Graduate Tax Program is the only program of its kind in the Rocky Mountain Region and has an excellent national reputation, it is well situated to offer its students a variety of job opportunities in this region as well as across the U.S.
Each Big Four accounting firm and many other national, regional, and local firms interview applicants on campus each year during the Fall On-Campus Interview process which starts in the beginning of Fall quarter and lasts until mid-October. The majority of students receive offers through this process. (National firms are represented by their national or regional partner in charge of recruiting tax personnel.) A significant number of local firms interview on campus, as well as many private corporations and the IRS. Job listings come in throughout the year and are posted on the Graduate Tax Program bulletin board outside of Suite 390 and a web-based career services portal for students and employers. In addition, an extensive informal placement procedure is available for those students with more specialized interests. The Program’s growing network of alumni throughout the country also provides significant assistance to graduates.
The Graduate Legal Studies Associate Director and Director offer one-on-one career counseling to GTP current student and alumni. The Office of Career Development and Opportunities of the College of Law and the Suitts Graduate Career Center of the College of Business maintain detailed job listings through their respective Symplicity databases available only to University of Denver students and alumni.
The strength of the Graduate Tax Program is clearly evident from the experience of its graduates in seeking employment. In recent years, many recipients of an LL.M. in Taxation or Master of Taxation degree have arranged employment as a tax professional prior to graduation.
2016-2017 Annual On-Campus Recruitment process:
- GTP OCI Meet the Firms: Tuesday, September 20th, 3-7PM in the Law School Forum (1st floor)
- OCI Interview Skills Workshop: Monday, September 26th, 2-3PM, Room 370.
- Job listings will be available on Symplicity (must request database access) on September 9th; all applications are due September 22nd; interviews begin September 30th
Employment opportunities are not limited to the Denver area. Graduate Tax Program graduates are working in every region of the U.S. and several foreign countries, in private firms, corporations, state governments, and the IRS. Approximately 50 percent of our more than 2,400 alumni live and work outside Colorado; 25 percent are either sole practitioners or a principal in a private practice; 18 percent work for Big Four accounting firms.
A sampling of job titles of our alumni includes:
- Various partners with national and local law firms and accounting firms
- Federal Tax Manager, First National Bank of Omaha
- Senior Tax Counsel, Asia Pacific Operations, General Motors
- Financial Consultant, Salomon Smith Barney
- Tax Partner, Ernst & Young LLP
- Tax Director, United Artists Theatre
- Circuit Inc. Director, Technical Accounting, Media One Group
- Tax Partner, Deloitte LLP
- Tax Partner, Mergers & Acquisitions, KPMG LLP
- International Tax Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Regional Director, Internal Revenue Service
- U.S. Tax Court Judge