Professional Mentoring Program — First Year Student Application
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law's Professional Mentoring Program offers law students the opportunity to have a practicing lawyer or judge as a mentor. We will make every effort to match every student who is interested with the appropriate mentor. Please complete and submit the following Application to receive a mentor for the Fall 2012/Spring 2014 academic year.
- By completing this Application and electronically signing below, you are certifying that you:
- Will be a first year JD student for the Fall of 2012 academic year;
- Will return your mentor's emails and telephone calls promptly;
- Will notify your mentor in advance if you are unable to keep an appointment;
- Will arrive at scheduled meetings in a timely manner;
- Will notify your mentor and the Program should you decide to discontinue participating within the Program; and
- Understand that participation in the Program is at the discretion of the Program, and that your failure to maintain these professional standards may result in dismissal from the Program for your law school career.
- We attempt to match mentors and students based primarily on general practice areas. The practice areas listed in this application are, by necessity, very broad. Accordingly, your mentor may not practice in the exact area in which you think you might want to practice. If that happens, please do not reject your mentor. Instead, work with him or her and find common ground. You will learn valuable practice insights from your mentor regardless of their practice area.
- We anticipate being able to offer every first year and second year student a mentor. Do not complete the application if you are unsure about enrolling or continuing at Sturm College of Law for the 2012/2014 academic year. The earlier you submit your application the more likely you will be assigned a mentor in your general area of practice and the less likely you will have to wait for a mentor to be assigned to you. Applications will be accepted until the first day of class, August 20, 2012.
First Year Application